A frequency reconfigurable patch antenna is proposed. The antenna has a rectangular patch with two meandered slots. It can be switched between four bands using two PIN diodes by altering current distribution across the slot edges. The overall dimension of the antenna patch is 11.51 mm × 8.37 mm and fabricated on an FR4 substrate. The design is investigated by simulation and measurement, and the result includes S11 parameters, radiation patterns, measured directivity and gain. With different combinations of PIN diode biasing conditions, the antenna can be set to 6.80 GHz, 7.34 GHz, 7.80 GHz and 8.18 GHz, which collectively covers a continuous frequency range of 1.80 GHz (- 10 dB band width). The antenna also shows consistent radiation patterns at all the reconfigured frequency bands with an average beam width of about 75°. In the accessible frequency range an average gain of 5.14 dBi and low level of cross polarizations are also recorded. A good agreement between measured and simulated results validates the presented concept of frequency reconfiguration.
2. Petosa, A., "An overview of tuning techniques for frequency-agile antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, 271-296, 2012.
3. Ge, L. and K. M. Luk, "Frequency-reconfigurable low-profile circular monopolar patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 3443-3449, 2014.
4. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 645-654, 2005.
5. Oh, S. S., Y. B. Jung, Y. R. Ju, and H. D. Park, "Frequency-tunable open-ring microstrip antenna using varactor," 2010 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 624-626, 2010.
6. White, C. R. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Single- and dual-polarized tunable slot-ring antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 19-26, 2009.
7. Cetiner, B. A., G. R. Crusats, L. Jofre, and N. Biyikli, "RF MEMS integrated frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 626-632, 2010.
8. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, K. Avery, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Implementation of a cognitive radio front-end using rotatable controlled reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 1773-1778, 2011.
9. Panagamuwa, C. J., A. Chauraya, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Frequency and beam reconfigurable antenna using photoconducting switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 449-454, 2006.
10. Anagnostou, D. E., et al., "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 422-432, 2006.
11. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2250-2261, 2012.
12. Erfani, E., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, M. Niroo-Jazi, and T. A. Denidni, "Design and implementation of an integrated UWB/reconfigurable-slot antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 77-80, 2012.
13. Li, T., H. Zhai, X. Wang, L. Li, and C. Liang, "Frequency-reconfigurable bow-tie antenna for bluetooth, WiMAX, and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 171-174, 2015.
14. Chunna, Z., Y. Songnan, H. K. Pan, A. E. Fathy, S. El-Ghazaly, and V. Nair, "Development of reconfigurable mini-nested patches antenna for universal wireless receiver using MEMS," 2006 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 205-208, 2006.
15. Bhattacharjee, T., H. Jiang, and N. Behdad, "Fluidic beam steering in parasitically coupled patch antenna arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, 1229-1231, 2015.
16. Weedon, W. H., W. J. Payne, and G. M. Rebeiz, "MEMS-switched reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium. 2001 Digest. Held in conjunction with: USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (Cat. No.01CH37229), Vol. 3, 654-657, 2001.
17. Fan, Y. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antennas with switchable slots (PASS) in wireless communications: concepts, designs, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, 13-29, 2005.
18. Nazir, I., I. E. Rana, N. U. A. Mir, and K. Afreen, "Design and analysis of a frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna switching between four frequency bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 179-191, 2016.
19. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, N. A. Murad, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequencyreconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 218-220, 2013.
20. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "Reconfigurable slot antenna for switchable multiband operation in a wide frequency range," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 329-332, 2013.
21. Li, H., J. Xiong, Y. Yu, and S. He, "A simple compact reconfigurable slot antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 3725-3728, 2010.
22. Xiao, S., B.-Z. Wang, and X.-S. Yang, "A novel frequency-reconfigurable patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, 295-297, 2003.
23. Oliveira, E. E. C., P. H. d. F. Silva, A. L. P. S. Campos, and A. G. d’Assuno, "Small-size quasifractal patch antenna using the Minkowski curve," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 805-809, 2010.
24. Agrawal, A. K. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip coupled line bandpass filter using quasi Minkowski fractal shape for suppression of the second harmonic," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 412-415, 2015.
25. Ren, Z., W.-T. Li, L. Xu, and X.-W. Shi, "A compact frequency reconfigurable unequal U-slot antenna with a wide tunability range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 9-16, 2013.
26. Koley, S. and D. Mitra, "A compact dual-band reconfigurable open-end slot antenna for cognitive radio front end system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 58, 33-41, 2015.
27. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot antenna for SDR application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 129-136, 2015.