Travelling wave antennas such as Vivaldi antennas, have conventionally been used for obtaining wideband and directional radiation pattern. This paper presents a novel way to obtain first of its kind, omnidirectional travelling wave antenna inspired by Vivaldi. Traditional omnidirectional antennas such as monopole and dipole rely on resonance condition which is usually satisfied on narrow band while the proposed antenna is relatively broadband owing to its travelling wave phenomenon. Moreover, typical Vivaldi antennas are double layered while our design requires only one layer. Antenna has been simulated and optimized in HFSS to operate in dual bands of UWB spectrum. The antenna has been measured and characterized using Keysight handheld VNA and Satimo Anechoic chamber. Good agreement between simulations and measurements have been obtained despite the fabrication tolerance of LPKF PCB manufacturing machine.
2. Zhang, W.-X., "Modified tapered slot-line antennas for special applications," REV Journal on Electronics and Communications, Vol. 2, No. 3-4, 106-112, 2012.
3. Zhang, P., W.-X. Zhang, and S. J. Tang, "Improved tapered slot-line antennas loaded by grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8–9, 1039-1048, 2009.
4. Yngvesson, K. S., T. L. Korzeniowski, Y.-S. Kim, E. L. Kollberg, and J. F. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna — A new integrated element for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 2, 365-374, 1989.
5. Pandey, G. K., H. Verma, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact antipodal vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 4, 308-310, 2015.
6. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Designof compact vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
7. Benjamin, A. S. and S. Cook, "Inkjet printing of novel wideband and high gain antennas on lowcost paper substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4148-415, 2012.
8. Fei, P., Y.-C. Jiao, Y. Ding, and F.-S. Zhang, "A compact coplanar waveguide fed wide tapered slot ultra-wideband antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 77-85, 2011.
9. USB, E., "Wireless USB FAQ,", 2016. [Online]. Available: http://www.everythingusb.com/wirelessusb.html#1.
10. Varma, V. K., "Wireless Fidelity — WiFi,", Originally published on the IEEE Emerging Technology portal, 2006–2012. [Online]. Available: https://www.ieee.org/about/technologies/emerging/wifi.pdf.
11. Zarrabi, F. B., N. P. Gandji, R. Ahmadian, H. Kuhestani, and Z. Mansouri, "Modification of vivaldi antenna for 2–18 GHz UWB application with substrate integration waveguide structure and comb slots," ACES Journal, Vol. 30, No. 8, 844-849, 2015.
12. CISCO, "Omni antenna vs. directional antenna,", 2007. [Online]. Available: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/82068-omni-vs-direct.html.