We propose an all circular-air-hole short-length polarization beam splitter (PBS) with high extinction ratio based on dual-core highly birefringent photonic crystal fiber (PCF). The impacts of geometrical parameters on the coupling polarization dependence, coupling length ratio (CLR), and propagation property are numerically investigated by the full-vector finite element method (FEM) and the semi-vector beam propagation method (BPM). From simulation results, it is seen that CLRs at the excitation wavelength of 1.55 μm can be optimized to be closed to the desired values of 3/2 and 4/3 to satisfy the sufficient condition of splitting polarized modes by appropriately tailoring the air-hole sizes. For the two optimal structures, the separation of x- and y-polarized modes can be achieved in short lengths of 1.41 mm and 2.89 mm at the operating wavelength of 1.55 μm, respectively. Furthermore, the extinction ratios at λ = 1.55 μm are estimated to be 97.7 dB and 88.1 dB, and the wavelength bandwidths of extinction ratio better than 15 dB are about 107 and 82 nm, respectively.
2. Hayakawa, T., S. Asakawa, and Y. Kokubun, "ARROW-B type polarization splitter with asymmetric Y-branch fabricated by a self-alignment process," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 15, No. 7, 1165-1170, 1997.
3. Wu, C., T. Wu, and H. Chang, "A novel fabrication method for all-fiber, weakly fused, polarization beam splitters," IEEE Photonic. Tech. L., Vol. 7, No. 7, 786-788, 1995.
4. Van der Tol, J. J. G. M., J. W. Pedersen, E. G. Metaal, and Y. S. Oei, "Mode evolution type polarization splitter on InGaAsP/InP," IEEE Photonic. Tech. L., Vol. 5, No. 12, 1412-1414, 1993.
5. Miliou, A. N., R. Srivastava, and R. V. Ramaswamy, "A 1.3 μm directional coupler polarization splitter by ion exchange," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 11, No. 2, 220-225, 1993.
6. Bricheno, T. and V. Baker, "All-fibre polarisation splitter/combiner," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 6, 251-252, 1985.
7. Chen, D., M.-L. V. Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Super-lattice structure photonic crystal fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 53-64, 2010.
8. Zheng, H. and C. Wu, "Photonic crystal fiber with two triangular arrays of semiminor-axisdecreasing elliptical air holes for single-polarization single-mode operation," Opt. Eng., Vol. 50, No. 12, 125003, 2011.
9. Yin, A. and L. Xiong, "Characteristics analysis of large solid-core square-lattice photonic crystal fibers with hybrid cladding," Opt. Eng., Vol. 53, No. 1, 016112, 2014.
10. Hasana, M. I., M. Selim Habibb, M. Samiul Habibb, and S. M. Abdur Razzakb, "Highly nonlinear and highly birefringent dispersion compensating photonic crystal fiber," Opt. Fiber Technol., Vol. 20, No. 1, 32-38, 2014.
11. Mangan, B. J., J. C. Knight, T. A. Birks, and P. S. J. Russell, "Experimental study of dual-core photonic crystal fibre," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 16, 1358, 2000.
12. Kakarantzas, G., B. J. Mangan, T. A. Birks, J. C. Knight, and P. S. J. Russell, "Directional coupling in a twin core photonic crystal fiber using heat treatment," Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, 7219405, 2001.
13. Lee, B. H., J. B. Eom, J. Kim, D. S. Moon, and U. C. Paek, "Photonic crystal fiber coupler," Opt. Lett., Vol. 27, No. 10, 812-814, 2002.
14. Zhang, L. and C. Yang, "Polarization splitter based on photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Express,, Vol. 11, No. 9, 1015, 2003.
15. Zhang, L. and C. Yang, "Polarization-dependent coupling in twin-core photonic crystal fibers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 22, No. 5, 1367-1373, 2004.
16. Zhang, L., C. Yang, C. Yu, T. Luo, and A. E. Willner, "PCF-based polarization splitters with simplified structures," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, No. 11, 3558-3565, 2005.
17. Saitoh, K., Y. Sato, and M. Koshiba, "Coupling characteristics of dual-core photonic crystal fiber couplers," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, No. 24, 3188-3195, 2003.
18. Saitoh, K., Y. Sato, and M. Koshiba, "Polarization splitter in three-core photonic crystal fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 12, No. 17, 3940-3946, 2004.
19. Birks, T. A., J. C. Knight, B. J. Mangan, and P. St. J. Russel, "Seeing things in a hole new light-photonic crystal fibers," Proc. SPIE, 4532, 206-219, 2001.
20. Mao, D., C. Guan, and L. Yuan, "Polarization splitter based on interference effects in all-solid photonic crystal fibers," Appl. Optics, Vol. 49, No. 19, 3748-3752, 2010.
21. Chen, M., B. Sun, Y. Zhang, and X. Fu, "Design of broadband polarization splitter based on partial coupling in square-lattice photonic-crystal fiber," Appl. Optics, Vol. 49, No. 16, 3042-3048, 2010.
22. Zhang, L. and C. Yang, "A novel polarization splitter based on the photonic crystal fiber with nonidentical dual cores," IEEE Photonic. Tech. L., Vol. 36, No. 7, 1670-1672, 2004.
23. Rosa, L., F. Poli, M. Foroni, A. Cucinotta, and S. Selleri, "Polarization splitter based on a squarelattice photonic-crystal fiber," Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 4, 441-443, 2006.
24. Florous, N., K. Saitoh, and M. Koshiba, "A novel approach for designing photonic crystal fiber splitters with polarization independent propagation characteristics," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 19, 7365-7373, 2005.
25. Lu, W., S. Lou, and X. Wang, "Ultrabroadband polarization splitter based on a modified three-core photonic crystal fiber," Appl. Optics, Vol. 52, No. 35, 8494-8500, 2013.
26. Lu, W., S. Lou, X. Wang, L. Wang, and R. Feng, "Ultrabroadband polarization splitter based on three-core photonic crystal fibers," Appl. Optics, Vol. 52, No. 3, 449-455, 2013.
27. Jiang, H., E. Wang, J. Zhang, L. Hu, Q. Mao, Q. Li, and K. Xie, "Polarization splitter based on dual-core photonic crystal fiber," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, No. 25, 30461-30466, 2014.
28. Liu, Q., S. Li, Z. Fan, W. Zhang, J. Zi, and H. Li, "Numerical analysis of high extinction ratio photonic crystal fiber polarization splitter based on ZnTe glass," Opt. Fiber Technol., Vol. 21, 193-197, 2015.
29. Wang, X., S. Li, H. Chen, G.Wang, and Y. Zhao, "Polarization splitter based on dual-core photonic crystal fiber with octagonal lattice," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 4, 271, 2016.
30. Wang, H., X. Yan, S. Li, G. An, and X. Zhang, "Ultra-short polarization beam splitter based on dual core photonic crystal fiber," J. Mod. Optic., Online, 2016.
31. Kim, S. E., B. H. Kim, C. G. Lee, S. Lee, K. Oh, and C. Kee, "Elliptical defected core photonic crystal fiber with high birefringence and negative flattened dispersion," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 2, 1385-1391, 2012.
32. Li, J., K. Duan, Y. Wang, X. Cao, Y. Guo, and X. Lin, "Design of a single-polarization single-mode photonic crystal fiber double-core coupler," Optik, Vol. 120, 490-496, 2009.
33. Zhang, S., W. Zhang, P. Geng, X. Li, and J. Ruan, "Design of single-polarization wavelength splitter based on photonic crystal fiber," Appl. Optics, Vol. 50, No. 36, 490-496, 2011.
34. Saitoh, K. and M. Koshiba, "Numerical modeling of photonic crystal fibers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, No. 11, 3580-3590, 2005.
35. Rahman, B. M. A., A. K. M. Saiful Kabir, M. Rajarajan, and K. T. V. Grattan, "Finite element modal solutions of planar photonic crystal fibers with rectangular air-holes," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 37, 171-183, 2005.
36. Laegsgaard, J., O. Bang, and A. Bjarklev, "Photonic crystal fiber design for broadband directional coupling," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 12, 2473-2475, 2004.