Fractal array antenna design methodology is an artistic type of design methodology. Hence fractal array antennas are also called as artistic array antennas. This article proposed a concentric elliptical ring sub array generator geometric design methodology for a methodical expansion of multi-beam fractal array antennas. Using this new geometric design methodology any polygon shape can be constructed. This geometric design methodology provides a systematic approach for multiple beams of fractal array antennas, with unit amplitude constriction, using multi-beam sub arrays and without any increase in hardware complication. In this paper, a four element rhombus fractal array antenna examined using a proposed design methodology up to four concurrent iterations and for different eccentric values. Due to the recursive nature of the proposed methodology, the rhombus fractal array antenna shows multi-beam performance with abatement of beam width and better side lobe level. In the third and fourth iterations of rhombus fractal array for expansion factor two, beam width reached to single digit values of 7.2˚, 3.6˚ with side lobe level angles of 15.5˚ and 8.1˚ respectively. The behavior of the proposed array shows better performance than four element fractal array antenna generated by concentric circular sub array generator. Proposed fractal array antennas are analyzed and simulated by MATLAB programming.
2. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2 Ed., Artech House, Massachusetts, USA, 2005.
3. Ma, M. T., Theory and Application of Antenna Arrays, John Wiley & Sons, USA, 1974.
4. Hansen, R. C., Phased Array Antennas, 2 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA, 2009.
5. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For All Application, 3 Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, USA, 1997.
6. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, Feb. 2003.
7. Best, S. R., Small and Fractal Antennas in Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 2008.
8. Werner, D. H. and R. Mittra, Frontiers in Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, USA, 2000.
9. Baliarda, C. P. and R. Pous, "Fractal design of multiband and low side-lobe arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 5, 730-739, May 1996.
10. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 41, No. 5, 37-59, Oct. 1999.
11. Sankar Ponnapalli, V. A. and P. V. Y. Jayasree, "Heptagonal fractal antenna array for wireless communications," Springer-LNEE Series, Vol. 372, 387-394, Jan. 2016.
12. Kuhirun, W., "A new design methodology for modular broadband arrays based on fractal tilings,", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, USA, 2003.
13. Kim, Y. and D. L. Jaggard, "The fractal random array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 74, No. 9, 1278-1280, Sep. 1986.
14. Rao, V. S. and V. A. Sankar Ponnapalli, "Study and analysis of fractal linear antenna arrays," IOSR-JECE, Vol. 5, No. 2, 23-27, Mar. 2013.
15. Siakavara, K., "Hybrid-Fractal direct radiating antenna arrays with small number of elements for satellite communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 58, No. 6, 2102-2106, Jun. 2010.
16. Jabbar, A. N., "New elements concentrated planar fractal antenna arrays for celestial surveillance and wireless communications," ETRI J., Vol. 33, No. 6, 849-856, Dec. 2011.
17. Jaggard, D. L. and A. D. Jaggard, "Cantor ring arrays," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Digest, Vol. 2, 866-869, Jun. 1998.
18. Werner, D. H., W. Kuhirun, and P. L. Werner, "Fractile arrays: A new class of tiled arrays with fractal boundaries," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 8, 2008-2018, Aug. 2004.
19. Siakavara, K., "Novel fractal antenna arrays for satellite networks: Circular ring sierpinski carpet arrays optimized by genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 115-138, 2010.
20. Ghatak, R., A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "Evolutionary optimization of Haferman carpet fractal patterned antenna array," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 8, 719-729, Aug. 2015.
21. Neyestanak, A. A. L., M. Ghiamy, M. Naser-Moghaddasi, and R. A. Saadeghzadeh, "Investigation of hybrid elliptical antenna arrays," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 28-34, Feb. 2008.