A compact wideband planar double-sided printed quasi-Yagi antenna is presented. This letter focuses on the feasibility of substituting conventional balun for microstrip-to-slotline transition balun to achieve wider bandwidth and relatively smaller size. The proposed antenna, consisting of a feeding balun, a concave arc-shaped reflector, a modified driver with stacked structure and two directors, is designed and fabricated. Good agreement between simulated and measured results is observed. Simulation and measurement results reveal that the proposed antenna can provide an impedance bandwidth of nearly 100% (2.02-6.05 GHz). Additionally, within the impedance bandwidth, the radiation pattern of the proposed antenna has front-to-back (F/B) ratios ranging from 10.1 dB to 19.1 dB, cross-polarization levels in the main radiation direction from 19.8 dB to 36.2 dB and gains from 3.4 dBi to 7.4 dBi.
2. Ding, Y., Y.-C. Jiao, P. Fei, B. Li, and Q. Zhang, "Design of a multiband quasi-Yagi-type antenna with CPW-to-CPS transition," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1120-1123, 2011.
3. Kaneda, N., W. R. Deal, Y. Qian, R. Waterhouse, and T. Itoh, "A broadband planar quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1158-1160, Aug. 2002.
4. Han, K., Y. Park, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Broadband CPS-fed Yagi-Uda antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 24, 1207-1209, Nov. 2009.
5. Nikolic, N. and A. Weily, "Compact E-band planar quasi-Yagi antenna with folded dipole driver," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1728-1734, 2010.
6. Wu, J. N., Z.-Q. Zhao, Z.-P. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "Design of a wideband planar printed quasi- Yagi antenna using stepped connection structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3431-3435, Jun. 2014.
7. Yeo, J. and J.-I. Lee, "Broadband compact series-fed dipole pair antenna with simplified integrated balun," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 8, 1731-1734, Jul. 2014.
8. Ta, S. X., B. Kim, H. Choo, and I. Park, "Wideband quasi-Yagi antenna fed by microstrip-toslotline transition," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 1, 150-153, Jul. 2012.
9. Abbosh, A., "Ultra-wideband quasi-Yagi antenna using dual-resonant driver and integrated balun of stepped impedance coupled structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3885-3888, Jul. 2013.
10. Liu, J.-H., S.-Y. Zheng, Y.-X. Li, and Y.-L. Long, "Broadband monopolar microstrip patch antenna with shorting vias and coupled ring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 39-42, 2014.
11. Deshmukh, A. A. and K. P. Ray, "Formulation of resonance frequencies for dual-band slotted rectangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Mag. on Antenna Propag., Vol. 54, 78-97, 2012.
12. Mirzapour, M. I., S. M. J. Razavi, and S. H. Mohseni Armaki, "Ultra-wideband planar LPDA antenna with mode converter balun," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 12, 848-850, Jun. 5, 2014.