A novel uniplanar compact WLAN band-notched printed ultrawideband (UWB)-multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with dual polarization for high data-rate wireless communication is proposed. The antenna consists of two CPW-fed floral radiating elements along with a decoupling structure to ensure high isolation. The band notch at the WLAN frequency band is achieved by etching one single U-shaped slot on each antenna element. Results show that the proposed antenna gives impedance bandwidth from 2.7 GHz to 10.9 GHz with notched frequency band from 5.1 GHz to 5.9 GHz. The proposed antenna provides nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern, low envelope correction coefficient [ECC], moderate gain, efficiency, fidelity factor and pattern stability factor [PSF]. Furthermore, diversity characteristics such as mean effective gain [MEG] and diversity gain [DG] are also studied. Moreover, the time-domain analysis displays minimum dispersion to the radiated pulse. All these features make the proposed antenna a good candidate for future high data-rate wireless communication systems with polarization-diversity operation, where the challenge of multipath fading is a major concern.
2. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Comm., No. 6, 311-335, 1998.
3. Dong, L., H. Choo, R. Heath, Jr., and H. Ling, "Simulation of MIMO channel capacity with antenna polarization diversity," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 4, 1869-1873, 2005.
4. Kildal, P. S. and K. Rosengran, "Correlation and capacity of MIMO systems and coupling, radiation efficiency, diversity gain of their antennas: Simulations and measurements in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Comm. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 12, 102-112, 2004.
5. Ren, J., D. Mi, and Y.-Z. Yin, "Compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with WLAN/UWB bands coverage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 121-129, 2014.
6. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009.
7. Liu, X. L., Z. Wang, Y.-Z. Yin, and J. H. Wang, "Closely spaced dual band-notched UWB antenna for MIMO applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 109-116, 2014.
8. Li, Z. Y., Z. W. Du, and K. Gong, "A dual-slot diversity antenna with isolation enhancement using parasitic elements for mobile handsets," Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., 1821-1824, 2009.
9. Su, S. W., C. T. Lee, and F. S. Chang, "Printed MIMO-antenna system using neutralization-line technique for wireless USB-dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 456-463, 2012.
10. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Gallo, B. B. Clemente, and M. F. Bataller, "Ultra-wideband slot ring antenna for diversity applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 7, 478-480, 2010.
11. Barba, M., "A high-isolation, wideband and dual-linear polarization patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1472-1476, 2008.
12. Li, Y., Z. J. Zhang, W. H. Chen, Z. H. Feng, and M. Iskander, "A dual-polarization slot antenna using a compact CPW feeding structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 191-194, 2010.
13. Ojaroudi, M., S. Yazdanifard, N. Ojaroudi, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Band-notched small square-ring antenna with a pair of T-shaped strips protruded inside the square ring for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 227-230, 2011.
14. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 170-173, 2011.
15. Jiang, W. and W. Q. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 293-296, 2012.
16. Zhao, J.-Y., Z.-Y. Zhang, Q.-Q. Liu, G. Fu, and S.-X. Gong, "Printed UWB MIMO antenna with different polarizations and band-notch characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 113-118, 2014.
17. Sharma, M., A. Alomainy, and C. Parini, "Fidelity pattern analysis of a CPW feed miniature UWB antenna using diff. Excitation pulses," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 494-498, 2015.
18. Karaboikis, M. P., V. C. Papamichael, G. F. Tsachtsiris, and V. T. Makios, "Integrating compact printed antennas onto small diversity MIMO terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2067-2078, 2008.
19. Gao, Y., X. D. Chen, and Z. N. Ying, "Design and performance investigation of a dual-element PIFA array at 2.5 GHz for MIMO terminal," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3433-3441, 2007.
20. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Correlation based pattern stability analysis and a figure of merit for UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 3184-3191, 2006.