This paper presents a compact 2.45 GHz single feed directional circularly polarized (CP) microstrip antenna for radio frequency identification (RFID) applications. The proposed antenna comprises a dodecagonal microstrip patch embedded with an irregular polygonal slot, fabricated on an FR4 substrate. Two antennas, one with right-handed circular polarization (RHCP) and the other with left-handed circular polarization (LHCP), both resonating at a frequency of 2.45 GHz are presented. The measurement results show a 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth of 5.5%, a 10 dB impedance bandwidth of 5.7% for both the antennas, a peak gain of 4.82 dBi for RHCP antenna and 4.67 dBi for LHCP antenna. In addition, the antennas provide symmetrical patterns with 88˚ half-power beam width. The overall size of the antenna is 50 mm × 50 mm × 1.6 mm and offers an area reduction of 21.17%.
2. Nishamol, M. S., V. P. Sarin, D. Tony, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of a circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna for GPS applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 2, 468-470, 2011.
3. Chen, H.-D., S.-H. Kuo, C.-Y.-D. Sim, and C.-H. Tsai, "Coupling-feed circularly polarized RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, May 2012.
4. Gautam, A. K., A. Kunwar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Circularly polarized arrowhead-shape slotted microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 471-474, 2014.
5. Stefano, M. and A. C. G. Manes, "A new design method for single-feed circular polarization microstrip antenna with an arbitrary impedance matching condition," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 379-389, 2011.
6. Wu, T., H. Su, L. Gan, H. Chen, J. Huang, and H. Zhang, "A compact and broadband microstrip stacked patch antenna with circular polarization for 2.45-GHz mobile RFID reader," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 623-626, 2013.
7. Nagendra, K. and R. Kumar, "Design of slotted ground hexagonal microstrip patch antenna and gain improvement with FSS screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 51, 177-199, 2013.
8. Bhattacharyya, A. and L. Shafai, "A wider band microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 2, 157-163, 1988.
9. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2001.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Delhi, 2007.
11. Gao, S.(Shichang), Q. Luo, and F. Zhu, Circularly Polarized Antennas, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, United Kingdom, 2014.
12. Carver, K. and J. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981.