For wideband common-mode noise suppression in high-speed differential signals, a low-cost compact filter is proposed and designed by etching two coupled C-slotlines on the ground plane. It is found that the bandwidth of the common-mode stopband over -10 dB is from 2.4 GHz to 6.35 GHz with no degradation of the differential-mode insertion loss and group delay within the wide common-mode stopband. In time domain, the differential signal eye diagram is not deteriorated as well. In addition, an equivalent circuit model is developed and provides a quickly prediction of the common-mode stopband. The results show a good consistency between the simulations and measurements.
2. Wu, S.-J., C.-H. Tsai, T.-L. Wu, and T. Itoh, "A novel wideband common-mode suppression filter for gigahertz differential signals using coupled patterned ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 4, 848-855, 2009.
3. Tsai, C.-H. and T.-L. Wu, "A broadband and miniaturized common-mode filter for gigahertz differential signals based on negative-permittivity metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 1, 195-202, 2010.
4. Yanagisawa, K., F. Zhang, T. Sato, and Y. Miura, "A new wideband common-mode noise filter consisting of Mn-Zn ferrite core and copper/polyimide tape wound coil," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 10, 3571-3573, 2005.
5. Deng, J. and K. Y. See, "In-circuit characteristics of common-mode chokes," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 451-454, 2007.
6. Naqui, J., A. Fernandez-Prieto, M. Duran-Sindreu, F. Mesa, J. Martel, F. Medina, and F. Martin, "Common-mode suppression in microstrip differential lines by means of complementary split ring resonators: theory and applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 3023-3033, 2012.
7. Hsiao, C.-Y., C.-H. Tsai, C.-N. Chiu, and T.-L. Wu, "Radiation suppression for cable-attached packages utilizing a compact embedded common-mode filter," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 2, No. 10, 1696-1703, 2012.
8. De Paulis, F., L. Raimondo, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, and A. Orlandi, "Compact configuration for common mode filter design based on planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 3, 646-654, 2012.
9. Fernndez-Prieto, A., J. Martel-Villagran, F. Medina, F. Mesa, S. Qian, J. S. Hong, J. Naqui, and F. Martin, "Dual-band differential filter using broadband common-mode rejection artificial transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 779-797, 2013.
10. Fernndez-Prieto, A., S. Qian, J. S. Hong, J. Martel-Villagran, F. Medina, F. Mesa, J. Naqui, and F. Martin, "Common-mode suppression for balanced bandpass filters in multilayer liquid crystal polymer technology," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 9, No. 12, 1249-1253, 2015.
11. Hsu, S.-K., J.-C. Yen, and T.-L. Wu, "A novel compact forward-wave directional coupler design using periodical patterned ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 3, 1249-1257, 2011.
12. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
13. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
14. Knorr, J. B. and K.-D. Kuchler, "Analysis of coupled slots and coplanar strips on dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 23, No. 7, 541-548, 1975.
15. Aikawa, M. and Hiroyo, "Analysis of coupled slots and coplanar strips on dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, No. 6, 523-528, 1980.
16. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits, Components, and Systems, Wiley, New York, NY, 2001.
17. Hsu, S.-K., C. H. Tsai, and T.-L. Wu, "A novel miniaturized forward-wave directional coupler with periodical mushroom-shaped ground plane," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 8, 2277-2283, 2010.
18., "Ansys Corporation, high frequency structure simulator,", Available: http://www.anasys.com/.
19. Simons, R. N., "Ansys Corporation, ansoft designer V6.,", Available: http://www.anasys.com/.