In this paper, a co-prime symmetric sparse cross array is employed to estimate two-dimensional (2-D) direction-of-arrival (DOA). Some special forth-order-cumulants (FOCs) of array received data are used to construct a high-order matrix that is equivalent to a cross-covariance matrix based on two uniform linear arrays. After some modifications, an existing 2-D DOA estimation algorithm becomes more effective, and it shows further improved performance when the co-prime symmetric cross array is utilized. Numerical simulations demonstrate the effectiveness of our methods.
2. Albagory, Y. A., "Performance of 2-D DOA estimation for stratospheric platforms communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 36, 109-116, 2014.
3. Ma, W. K., T. H. Hsieh, and C. Y. Chi, "DOA estimation of quasi-stationary signals with less sensors than sources and unknown spatial noise covariance: A Khatri-Rao subspace approach," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 4, 2168-2180, 2010.
4. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, 2011.
5. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Multiple level nested array: An efficient geometry for 2qth order cumulant based array processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1253-1269, 2012.
6. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2010.
7. Hu, N., Z. F. Ye, X. Xu, and M. Bao, "DOA estimation for sparse array via sparse signal reconstruction," IEEE Transactions on Aeronautics and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, 760-773, 2013.
8. Liang, G. L. and B. Han, "Near-field sources localization based on co-prime symmetric array," Journal of and Information Technology, Vol. 36, No. 1, 135-139, 2014.
9. Gu, J. F. and P. Wei, "Joint SVD of two cross-correlation matrices to achieve automatic pairing in 2-D angle estimation problems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 553-556, 2007.
10. Chen, J., S. X. Wang, and X. L Wei, "New method for estimating two-dimensional direction of arrival based on L-shape array," Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology), Vol. 1, No. 4, 590-593, 2006.
11. Nie, X. and L. P. Li, "A computationally efficient subspace algorithm for 2-D DOA estimation with L-shaped array," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 971-974, 2014.
12. Gan, L., W. F. Lin, X. Y. Luo, and P. Wei, "Estimation 2-D angle of arrival with a cross-correlation matrix," Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, Vol. 36, No. 5, 667-671, 2013.
13. Kikuchi, S., H. Tsuji, and A. Sano, "Pair-matching method for estimating 2-D angle with a crosscorrelation matrix," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 35-40, 2006.
14. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.