A compact ultra wide band (UWB) antenna with dual band notch characteristics is proposed. The antenna consists of a coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed bevelled rectangular patch and a modified rectangular ground plane. A Z-shaped meander line parasitic element and a pair of symmetrical L-shaped quarter-wavelength stubs are employed to realize band-notched functions at WiMAX and WLAN bands respectively. By optimizing the dimensions and positions of these notch structures, the desired notch-bands of WLAN and WiMAX are achieved. Unlike other dual band-notched antennas reported in literature this antenna has a merit of regulating the centre frequency as well as the bandwidth of both the notched bands easily and independently. The measured -10 dB S11 covers the bandwidth from 2.5 to 11.5 GHz, with two notched bands from 3.3 to 3.6 GHz and 5.2 to 5.75 GHz. The proposed antenna exhibits nearly omni-directional radiation patterns with moderate gain and small group delay variations less than 0.5 ns over the entire operating bandwidth except at the notched bands. Moreover, by using antenna transfer function, the time domain characteristic of the antenna is also studied to confirm its suitability for UWB pulse communication.
2. Nguyen, T. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 403-406, 2011.
3. Zhang, S. M., F.-S. Zhang, W.-Z. Li, T. Quan, and H.-Y. Wu, "A compact UWB monopole antenna with WiMAX and WLAN band rejections," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 31, 159-168, 2012.
4. Sun, J. Q., X.-M. Zhang, Y.-B. Yang, R. Guan, and L. Jin, "Dual band-notched ultra-wideband planar monopole antenna with M- and W-slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 1-8, 2010.
5. Chen, B., A. G. Wang, and G. H. Zhao, "Design of a novel ultrawideband antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 1, 2401-2405, 2012.
6. Karimian, R., H. Oraizi, and S. Fakhte, "Design of a compact ultra-wide-band monopole antenna with band rejection characteristics," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 8, 604-610, 2014.
7. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009.
8. Liu, W. X. and Y.-Z. Yin, "Dual band-notched antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 21-30, 2011.
9. Zhou, H. J., B. H. Sun, Q. Z. Liu, and J. Y. Deng, "Implementation and investigation of U-shaped aperture UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Electronic Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, 1387-1388, 2008.
10. Gao, G. P., Z. L. Mei, and B. N. Li, "Novel circular slot UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 49-63, 2010.
11. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei, and J. Xu, "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejected elements integrated in the feed Line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 3952-3958, Aug. 2013.
12. Liu, X., Y. Yin, P. Liu, J. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bended dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013.
13. Ren, J. and Y. Yin, "A compact dual band-notched ultrawideband antenna with λ/4 stub and open slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 133-139, 2014.
14. Wang, J., Y. Yin, X. Liu, and T. Wang, "Trapezoid UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for WiMAX/WLAN bands," Electronic Letters, Vol. 49, No. 11, 685-686, 2013.
15. Mandal, T. and S. Das, "Design and analysis of a aoplanar waveguide fed Ultrawideband hexagonal open slot antenna with WLAN and WiMAX band rejection," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 2, 434-442, 2014.
16. Wang, X., L. Wang, H. Zhou, and W. Lu, "Compact CPW-fed antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1047-1049, 2014.
17. Coonrod, J. and B. Rautio, "Comparing microstrip and CPW performance," Technical Feature, Microwave Journal, 74-80, Jul. 2012.
18. Olaode, O. O., W. D. Palmer, and W. T. Joines, "Effects of meandering on dipole antenna resonant frequency," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 122-126, 2012.
19. Tang, W. X., H. Zhao, X. Y. Zhou, J. Y. Chin, and T. J. Cui, "Negative index material composed of meander lines and SRRs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 103-114, 2008.
20. Booket, M. R., M. Kamyab, A. Jafargholi, and S. M. Mousavi, "Analytical modeling of the printed dipole antenna loaded with CRLH structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 167-186, 2010.
21. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1739-1748, 2004.
22. Bahadori, K. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A miniaturized elliptic-card UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3326-3332, 2007.
23. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "Textile UWB antennas for wireless Body Area Networks," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3192-3197, 2006.
24. Duroc, Y., A. Ghiotto, T. P. Vuong, and S. Tedjini, "UWB antennas: Systems with transfer function and impulse response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1449-1451, 2007.
25. Ma, T. G. and S. K. Jeng, "Planar miniature tapered-slot-fed annular slot antennas for ultrawide-band radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1194-1202, 2005.