An ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) with application oriented triple notches and simultaneously suppressed stopband is proposed. Implementing complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) and novel complementary meandered folded split ring resonators (CMFSRR) shaped defected ground structures (DGS) in the ground of proposed structure generates the triple notch in the UWB passband. The notch positions are functions of CSRR/CMFSRR profile dimensions. Stopband is suppressed using the dual attenuation poles generated by the double equilateral-U (DEU) shaped DGS. An approximate lumped equivalent circuit model of the proposed filter is presented. Measured results obtained are in good agreement with the equivalent circuit model and full wave electromagnetic (EM) simulation. The filter is small in size with an overall area of 26.06 mm × 11 mm.
2. Li, K., D. Kurita, and T. Matsui, "An ultra-wideband bandpass filter using broadside-coupled microstrip-coplanar waveguide structure," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 675-678, Jun. 2005.
3. Kuo, T. N., S. C. Lin, and C. H. Chen, "Compact ultra-wideband bandpass filters using composite microstrip-coplanar-waveguide structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3772-3778, Oct. 2006.
4. An, J., G. M.Wang, W. D. Zeng, and L. X. Ma, "UWB filter using defected ground structure of von koch fractal shape slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 61-66, 2009.
5. Song, K. and Q. Xue, "Compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters with multiple notched bands," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 20, 447-449, Aug. 2010.
6. Feng, W., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filters with dual notched bands based on SCRLH resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 21, No. 1, 28-30, Jan. 2011.
7. Liu, B.-W., Y.-Z. Yin, Y. Yang, S.-H. Jing, and A.-F. Sun, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with two notched bands based on electromagnetic bandgap structures," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 13, Jun. 23, 2011.
8. Feng, W., W. T. Li, X. W. Shi, and Q. L. Huang, "Compact UWB bandpass filters with triple-notched bands using triple mode stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 22, No. 10, 512-514, Oct. 2012.
9. Ting, S. W., K. W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "Miniaturized microstrip lowpass filter with wide stopband using double equilateral U-shaped defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 240-242, May 2006.
10. Zeland Software Inc., , IE3D 14.0, 2008.
11. Zhu, L., R. Li, and S. Sun, Microwave Bandpass Filter for Wideband Communications, Wiley, 2012.
12. Hong, S.-J. and B. M. Karyamapudi, "A general circuit model for defected ground structures in planar transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 706-708, Oct. 2005.