An active circuit is described that exhibits the equivalent reactance of a negative inductor. In contrast with previous techniques based on negative impedance converters, the negative inductance is produced by generating an opposing time-varying magnetic flux. The new circuit also enables the inductance to be electronically varied between negative and positive values, can enhance the Q, and defaults to a conventional positive inductor in the event of active component failure. The performance of a prototype with an inductance of -0.344 mH and operating over the frequency range 1-40 kHz is described.
2. Merrill, J. L., "Theory of the negative impedance converter," Bell Sys. Tech. J., Vol. 30, 88-109.
3. Linvill, J. G., "Transistor negative impedance converters," Proc. IRE, Vol. 41, 725-729, Jun. 1953.
4. Kuo, C. K. and K. L. Su, "Some new four terminal NIC circuits," IEEE Proc. Circuit Theory, 379-381, Aug. 1969.
5. Sussman-Fort, S. E., "Gyrator-based biquad filters and negative impedance converters for microwaves," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput.-aided Engr., (Special Issue on Net. Synthesis Method. Microw. Dev.), Vol. 8, No. 3, 86-101, Mar. 1998.
6. Antoniou, A., "Floating negative impedance converters," IEEE Trans. Circuit Theory, Vol. 19, No. 2, 209-212, Mar. 1972.
7. Sussman-Fort, S. E. and R. M. Rudish, "Non-foster impedance matching of electrically-small antennas," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2230-2241, Aug. 2009.
8. Yuan, Y., B.-I. Popa, and S. A. Cummer, "Zero loss magnetic metamaterials using powered active unit cells," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 8, 16135-16143, Aug. 31, 2009.
9. Pehlke, D. R., A. Burstein, and M. F. Chang, "Extremely high-Q tunable inductor for Si-based RF integrated circuit applications," Proc. IEDM, 63-66, Washington, D.C., Dec. 1997.
10. Georgescu, B., H. Pekau, J. Haslett, and J. McRory, "Tunable coupled inductor Q-enhancement for parallel resonant LC tanks," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems - II: Analog and Digital Sig. Proc., Vol. 50, No. 10, 705-713, Oct. 2003.
11. Saha, P. K., A. Dutta, T. K. Bhattacharyya, and A. Patra, "Effects of active Q enhancement on oscillator phase noise: An analysis," Analog Integr. Circ. Sig. Process, Vol. 52, 99-107, 2007.
12. Cusmai, G., M. Repossi, G. Albasini, A. Mazzanti, and F. Svelto, "A magnetically tuned quadrature oscillator," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, No. 12, 2870-2877, 2007.
13. Yue, C. P. and S. S. Wong, "On-chip spiral inductors with patterned ground shields for Si-based RF IC's," IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 5, 743-752, May 1998.
14. Decanis, U., A. Ghilioni, E. Monico, A. Mazzanti, and F. Svelto, "A low-noise quadrature VCO based on magnetically coupled resonators and a wideband frequency divider at millimeter waves," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2943-2955, Dec. 2011.
15. Groves, R. A. and D. K. Jadus, "Switched inductor/varactor tuning circuit having a variable integrated inductor,", US Patent No. 6,549,096, Apr. 15, 2003.
16. Rais-Zadeh, M., P. A. Kohl, and F. Ayazi, "MEMS switched tunable inductors," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 17, No. 1, 78-84, 2008.
17. Demirkan, M., S. P. Bruss, and R. R. Spencer, "Design of wide tuning-range CMOS VCOs using switched coupled-inductors," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 5, 1156-1163, 2008.
18. Kossel, M., T. Morf, J. Weiss, P. Buchmann, C. Menolfi, T. Toifl, and M. L. Schmatz, "LC PLL with 1.2-octave locking range based on mutual-inductance switching in 45-nm SOI CMOS," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, No. 2, 436-449, 2009.
19. Wen, C.-Y., E. K. Chua, R. Zhao, T. X. Chong, J. A. Bain, and T. E. Schlesinger, "A phase-change via-reconfigurable on-chip inductor," Proc. 2010 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 10.3.1-10.3.4, Dec. 6-8, 2010.
20. Salvia, J., J. A. Bain, and C. P. Yue, "Tunable on-chip inductors up to 5 GHz using patterned permalloy laminations," IEEE International Electronic Devices Meeting (IEDM) Technical Digest, 943-946, Dec. 2005.
21. Ning, N., X. P. Li, J. Fan, W. C. Ng, Y. P. Xu, X. Qian, and H. L. Seet, "A tunable magnetic inductor," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 5, 1585-1590, May 2006.