This article reports on the design of a wideband compact microstrip-fed tapered slot antenna aimed at microwave imaging of a brain stroke. The antenna is immersed in a carefully designed coupling liquid that is used to facilitate higher signal penetration in the brain and thus increased dynamic range of the imaging system. A parametric analysis is used to find out the required properties of the coupling liquid. A suitable mixture of materials is then used to implement those properties. In order to protect the antenna from the adverse effects of the coupling medium, dielectric sheets are used to cover the radiator and the ground plane. To verify the proposed design in brain imaging, the antenna is tested using a suitable head model. It is shown that the antenna with a compact size (24 mm × 24 mm) on RT6010 substrate (dielectric constant = 10.2) operates efficiently over the band from 1 GHz to more than 4 GHz with more than 10 dB return loss. The time domain performance of the antenna supports its capability to transmit a distortion-less pulse with a high fidelity factor inside the head tissues.
2. Khor, , W., , M. Bialkowski, A. Abbosh, N. Seman, and S. Crozier, "An ultra wideband microwave imaging system for breast detection," IEICE Trans. Comm., Vol. E-90B, No. 9, 2376-2381, 2007.
3. Semenov, , S. and D. Corfield, "Microwave tomography for brain imaging: Feasibility assessment for stroke detection," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, No. 2008, 1-8, 2008.
4. Fhager, , A., , P. Hashemzadeh, and M. Persson, , "Reconstruction quality and spectral content of an electromagnetic time-domain inversion algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 8, 1594-1604, 2006.
5. Ireland, , D. , M. E. Bialkowski, and , "Microwave head imaging for stroke detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 163-175, , 2011.
6. Gabriel, , S., R. W. Lau and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurment in the frequency range 10 Hz to 20 GHz," Phys. Med. Biol., , Vol. 41, 2251-2269, 1996.
7. Adams, , H. P., , et al, and , "Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke,", Vol. 38, No. 5, , 1655-1711, 2007.
8. , "CST Microwave Studio, Computer Simulation Technology,".
9. Yu, , J., , M. Yuan, and Q. Liu, "A wideband half oval patch antenna for breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 98, 1-13, , 2009.
10. O'Halloran, , M., , M. Glavin, and E. Jones, , "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 203-217, , 2010.
11. Sugawara, , S., , Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "\Characteristics of a mm-wave tapered slot antenna with corru-gated edges," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest , Vol. 2, , 533-536, 1998.
12. Abbosh, , A., , H. Kan, and M. Bialkowski, , "Compact ultra-wideband planar tapered slot antenna for use in a microwave imaging system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters , Vol. 48, No. 11, 2212-2216, , 2006.
13. Abbosh, , A., M. Bialkowski, and H. Kan, , Planar Tapered Slot Antennas, Chapter Six in Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications Handbook, Wiley Int., , 2007.
14. Abbosh, , A., , "Miniaturized microstrip-fed tapered-slot antenna with ultrawideband performance," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 690-692, , 2009.
15. Abbosh, , A., "Miniaturization of planar ultrawideband antenna via corrugation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 685-688, , 2008..
16. Abbosh, , A. M., , M. E. Bialkowski, and S. Crozier, "Investigations into optimum characteristics for the coupling medium in UWB breast cancer imaging systems," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2008.
17. Meaney, , P., et al, and , "Initial clinic experience with microwave breast imaging in women with normal mammography," Acad Radiol. Feb., Vol. 14, No. 2, 207-218, 2007.
18. Lamensdorf, , D. , L. Susman, and , "Baseband-pulse-antenna techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine,, Vol. 36, No. 1, 20-30, 1994.
19. Abbosh, , A. M., , "Directive antenna for ultrawideband medical imaging systems," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, No. 2008, 1-6, , 2008.