The Multilook Cross Correlation (MLCC) is one of the most reliable algorithms used for Doppler ambiguity number estimation of the Doppler centroid parameter. However, the existing MLCC algorithm is only suitable for low contrast scenes. In high contrast scenes, the estimated result is not reliable, and the error is unacceptable. Besides, the Doppler centroid estimation processing time is long and can only be used in offline processing. In this paper, we introduce a modified MLCC algorithm that has better sensitivity which is suitable not only for low contrast scenes, but also for high contrast scenes. In addition, the modified MLCC algorithm can be implemented on parallel signal processing units for better time efficiency. Experiments with RADARSAT-1 data show that the modified algorithm works well in both high and low contrast scenes.
2. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
3. Li, Y., H. Fu, and P. Y. Kam, "An improved Doppler parameter estimator for synthetic aperture radar," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 2, 201-206, 2008.
4. Madsen, S. N., "Estimating the Doppler centroid of SAR data," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 25, 134-140, Mar. 1989.
5. Cumming, I. G. and J. R. Bennett, "Digital processing of SEASAT SAR data," Record IEEE 1979 Int. Conf. Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Washington, DC, Apr. 2-4, 1979.
6. Wong, F. and I. G. Cumming, "A combined SAR Doppler centroid estimation scheme based upon signal phase," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 34, No. 3, 696-707, May 1996.
7. Cumming, I. G. and S. Li, "Adding sensitivity to the MLBF Doppler centroid estimator," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 2, 279-292, Feb. 2007.
8. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Signal Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
9. Li, F. K., D. N. Held, J. Curlander, and C. Wu, "Doppler parameters estimation for spaceborne synthetic aperture radars," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 23, No. 1, 47-56, Jan. 1985.
10. Cumming, I. G., F. Wong, and B. Hawkins, "RADARSAT-1 Doppler centroid estimation using phase-based estimators," CEOS SAR Workshop, Toulouse, France, Oct. 26-29, 1999.
11. Tarantino, C., "Comparison between different Doppler centroid estimation methods for spaceborne S.A.R. processing ," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 3, 1047-1049, 1991.