A novel compact open-ended L-shaped slot antenna with asymmetrical rectangular patch is demonstrated and designed for UWB applications. With the open-ended L-shaped slot and an asymmetrical rectangular patch fed by the micro-strip line, multiple resonant frequencies are excited and merged to form a measured widen operating bandwidth of 3.01~11.30 GHz with 10 dB return loss. The fractional bandwidth can be enhanced from previous 32% (3~4.15 GHz) to 112% (3~10.66 GHz) among three different antenna types in simulations. The details and vital parameters of the proposed slot antenna are also illustrated. In addition, the proposed slot antenna exhibits a small size of 22×25 mm2, which makes it an excellent candidate for UWB systems and portable applications.
2. Liu, Y.-F., K.-L. Lau, Q. Xue, and C.-H. Chan, "Experimental studies of printed wide slot antenna for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 273-275, 2004.
3. Chen, H.-D., J.-S. Chen, and J.-N. Li, "Ultra-wideband square-slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 500-502, 2006.
4. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
5. Zhang, L., Y.-C. Jiao, K. Song, and F.-S. Zhang, "A novel broadband CPW-fed asymmetrical slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2817-2820, 2008.
6. Yeo, J. and D. Kim, "Harmonic suppression characteristic of a CPW-FED circular slot antenna using single slot on a ground conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 11-19, 2009.
7. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009.
8. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 994-1003, 2005.
9. Chen, W.-S. and K.-Y. Ku, "Broadband design of non-symmetric ground λ/4 open slot antenna with small size," Microwave J., Vol. 50, 110-121, 2007.
10. Chen, W.-S., F.-Y. Lin, and K.-C. Yang, "Studies of small openslot antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp. Dig., 2008.
11. Lin, S.-Y. and B.-J. Ke, "Ultrawideband printed patch antenna in notch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2080-2084, 2009.
12. Jan, J.-Y. and J.-W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2111-2114, 2005.
13. Wang, C.-J. and S.-W. Chang, "A technique of bandwidth enhancement for the slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3321-3324, October 2008.
14. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1267-1270, 2009.
15. Kim, H. and C.-W. Jung, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW fed tapered slot antenna with multi-transformation characteristics," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1050-1051, 2010.
16. Song, K., Y.-Z. Yin, and L. Zhang, "A novel monopole antenna with a self-similar slot for wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 95-97, 2010.