The performance of a short dipole antenna closely located above a finite High-Impedance Surface (HIS) is addressed. The antenna behavior is thoroughly analyzed in the frequency range up to the HIS resonance within the region where the propagation of the TE surface waves is not allowed. In the first part of the paper the analysis of a dipole antenna above a grounded dielectric slab is considered, and then it is extended to the case of a substrate with a frequency selective surface printed on it. For all configurations, the radiation pattern of the structure and Front-to-Back Ratio (FBR) are reported and compared. It is shown that the presence of a suitable frequency selective surface, regardless of the shape of the periodic elements, guarantees the antenna matching but does not influence the behavior of the radiation patterns and the front-to-back ratio in the frequency range where only TM modes are allowed to propagate. The front-to-back ratio has been found to be maximum when the size of the generic HIS is around 0.8λg (with λg the TM guided surface wave wavelength). All the speculations are supported by simulated and measured results.
2. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, October 2003.
3. Baracco, J.-M., L. Salghetti-Drioli, and P. de Maagt, "AMC low profile wideband reference antenna for GPS and GALILEO systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2540-2547, 2008.
4. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., D. J. Kern, P. S. Hall, and D. H. Werner, "Wideband dipoles on electromagnetic bandgap ground planes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2426-2434, 2007.
5. Elek, F., R. Abhari, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A uni-directional ring-slot antenna achieved by using an electromagnetic band-gap surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 181-190, 2005.
6. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, S. Talarico, and F. M. Valeri, "An active high impedance surface for low profile tunable and steerable antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 676-680, 2008.
7. Best, S. and D. Hanna, "Design of a broadband dipole in close proximity to an EBG ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 6, 52-64, 2008.
8. Tran, C.-M., H. Hafdallah-Ouslimani, L. Zhou, A. C. Priou, H. Teillet, J.-Y. Daden, and A. Ourir, "High impedance surfaces based antennas for high data rate communications at 40 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 217-229, 2010.
9. Bao, X. L., G. Ruvio, and M. J. Amman, "Directional dual-band slot antenna with dual-bandgap high-impedance-surface reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 1-11, 2009.
10. Rajo-Iglesias, E., L. Inclan-Sanchez, and O. Quevedo-Teruel, "Back radiation reduction in patch antennas using planar soft surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 123-130, 2009.
11. Tretyakov, S., Analytical Modelling in Applied Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
12. Clavijo, S., R. E. Dıaz, and W. E. McKinzie, III, , "Desing methodology for Sievenpiper high-impedance surfaces: An artificial magnetic conductor for positive gain electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2678-2690, October 2003.
13. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Räisänen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, 2008.
14. Kern, D. J., D. H. Werner, A. Monorchio, L. Lanuzza, and M. J. Wilhelm, "The design synthesis of multiband artificial magnetic conductors using high impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, Part 1, 8-17, January 2005.
15. Maci, S. and A. Cucini, "FSS-based EBG surfaces," Electromag netic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Aspects, N. Engheta and R. W. Ziolkowski (eds.), Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2006.
16. Yakovlev, A. B., O. Luukkonen, C. R. Simovski, S. A. Tretyakov, S. Paulotto, P. Baccarelli, and G. W. Hanson, "Analytical modeling of surface waves on high impedance surfaces," Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modelling, Applications, S. Zouhdi, A. Sihvola, and A. P. Vinogradov (eds.), 239-254, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series B, 2009.
17. Luukkonen, O. , C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Grounded uniaxial material slabs as magnetic conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 267-283, 2009.
18. Hansen, R. C., "Effects of a high-impedance screen on a dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 46-49, 2002.
19. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Effects of EBG reflection phase profiles on the input impedance and bandwidth of ultra-thin directional dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3664-3672, 2005.
20. Tretyakov, S. A. and C. R. Simovski, "Wire antennas near artificial impedance surfaces," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 1, 46-50, 2000.
21. Paulotto, S., P. Baccarelli, P. Burghignoli, G. Lovat, G. Hanson, and A. B. Yakovlev, "Homogenized Green's functions for an aperiodic line source over planar densely periodic artificial impedance surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 7, 1807-1817, July 2010.
22. Moosavi, P. and L. Shafai, "Directivity of microstrip ring antennas and effects of finite ground plane on the radiation parameters," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 672-675, June 1998.
23. Marg, R., I. Schon, and A. F. Jacob, "Finite ground plane effects on the radiation pattern of small microstrip arras," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 147, No. 2, 139-143, April 2000.
24. Namiki, T., Y. Murayama, and K. Ito, "Improving radiation-pattern distorsion of a patch antenna having a finite ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 3, March 2003.
25. Huynh, M.-C. and W. Stutzman, "Ground plane effects on planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) performance," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 4, 209-213, August 2003.
26. Kim, T.-Y., J.-W. Park, and B.-G. Kim, "Impact of a square grounded dielectric substrate on the radiation characteristics of a rectangular microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009. APSURSI'09, 1-4, June 1-5, 2009.
27. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces --- Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2000.
28. Munk, B. A., D. S. Janning, J. B. Pryor, and R. J. Marhefka, "Scattering from surface waves on finite FSS," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1782-1793, December 2001.
29. Janning, D. S. and B. A. Munk, "Effects of surface waves on the currents of truncated periodic arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1254-1265, 2002.
30. Çivi, Ö. A. and P. H. Pathak, "Array guided surface waves on a finite planar array of dipoles with or without a grounded substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2244-2252, August 2006.
31. Azad, M. Z. and M. Ali, "Novel wideband directional dipole antenna on a mushroom like EBG structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 5, 1242-1250, 2008.