A new reciprocal heuristic diffraction coefficient for lossy dielectric wedge is presented which is applicable to arbitrary positions of transmitter and receiver in a complex channel environment. The prediction obtained using proposed coefficient is compared with those obtained using rigorous Maliuzhinets'solution. The comparison shows significant improvement over available heuristic coefficients. The coefficient is valid for both parallel and perpendicular polarizations. Further, the measurement of the electric field in the vicinity of edge of the building is carried out, and the measurement result, thus obtained, is compared with predictions using the proposed coefficient.
2. Keller, J. B., "Geometrical theory of diffraction," J. Opt. Soc. Amer., Vol. 52, No. 2, 116-130, Feb. 1962.
3. Kouyoumjian, R. G. and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, No. 11, 1448-1461, Nov. 1974.
4. Luebbers, R. J., "Finite conductivity uniform GTD versus knife edge diffraction in prediction of propagation path loss," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, No. 1, 70-76, Jan. 1984.
5. Holm, P., "A new heuristic UTD diffraction coefficient for non-perfectly conducting wedges ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1211-1219, Aug. 2000.
6. Maliuzhinets, G. D., "Excitation, reflection and emission of surface waves from a wedge with given face impedances," Sov. Phys. Doklady, Vol. 3, 752-755, 1958.
7. El-Sallabi, H. M. and P. Vainikainen, "Improvements to diffraction coefficient for non-perfectly conducting wedges," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 9, 3105-3109, Sep. 2005.
8. Schettino, D. N., F. J. S. Moreira, K. L. Borges, and C. G. Rego, "Novel heuristic UTD coefficients for the characterization of radio channels," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1301-1304, Apr. 2007.
9. Aidi, M. and J. Lavergnat, "Comparison of Luebbers' and Maliuzhinets' wedge diffraction coefficients in urban channel modelling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 1-28, 2001.
10. Remley, K. A., H. R. Anderson, and A. Weisshar, "Improving the accuracy of ray-tracing techniques for indoor propagation modeling," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2350-2358, Nov. 2000.
11. Landdron, O., M. J. Feuerstein, and T. S. Rappaport, "A comparison of theoretical and empirical reflection coefficients for typical exterior wall surfaces in mobile radio environment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 3, 341-351, Mar. 1996.
12. Tiberio, R., G. Pelosi, and G. Manara, "A uniform GTD formulation for the diffraction by a wedge with impedance faces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, No. 8, 867-873, Aug. 1985.
13. Tiberio, R., G. Pelosi, and G. Manara, P. H. Pathak, "High-frequency scattering from a wedge with impedance faces illuminated by a line source --- Part I: Diffraction ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 212-218, Feb. 1989.
14. Hu, J.-L., S.-M. Lin, and W.-B. Wang, "Calculation of Maliuzhinets function in complex region," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 44, No. 8, 1195-1196, Aug. 1996.