An equilateral triangular microstrip antenna is proposed for circularly-polarized synthetic aperture radar (CP-SAR) systems operated in L-Band (1.27 GHz). For airborne application, a prototype antenna patch is designed, fabricated and tested. Electromagneticallycoupled, dual-feeding method is applied to generate the circularly-polarized wave radiating from the patch. The fabricated patch exhibits an axial ratio bandwidth (< 3 dB) of about 0.58% (7.4 MHz), which is consistent with the value of 0.57% (7.24 MHz) from the simulation.
2. Raney, R. K., "Hybrid-polarity SAR architecture," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 11, 3397-3404, November 2007.
3. Lee, J., D. L. Schuler, and T. L. Ainsworth, "Polarimetric SAR data compensation for terrain azimuth slope variation," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 5, 2153-2163, September 2000.
4. Mattia, F., T. L. Toan, J. Souyris, G. D. Carolis, N. Floury, F. Posa, and G. Pasquariello, "The effect of surface roughness on multifrequency polarimetric SAR data," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, No. 4, 954-966, 1997.
5. Pokuls, R., J. Uher, and D. M. Pozar, "Dual-frequency and dual polarization microstrip antennas for SAR applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1289-1296, 1998.
6. Birk, R., W. Camus, E. Valenti, and W. J. McCandless, "Synthetic aperture radar imaging systems," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 10, No. 11, 15-23, 1995.
7. Chan, Y. K. K., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 203-218, 2004.
8. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Comparison between arrays of rotating linearly polarized elements and circularly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2949-2954, September 2008.
9. Vetharatnam, G., C. B. Kuan, and C. H. Teik, "Microstrip antenna for airbone SAR applications,", http://www.remotesensing.gov.my/images/default/publication 3rdmicrowave/3rdmicrowave_paper5.pdf.
10. Levine, E., G. Malamud, S. Shtrikman, and D. Treves, "A study of microstrip array antennas with the feed network," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 4, 426-434, 1989.
11. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
12. Suzuki, Y., N. Miyano, and T. Chiba, "Circularly polarised radiation from singly fed equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna," Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, IEE Proceedings H, Vol. 134, No. 2, 194-198, April 1987.
13. Karimabadi, S. S., Y. Mohsenzadeh, A. R. Attari, and S. M. Moghadasi, "Bandwidth enhancement of single-feed circularly polarized equilateral triangular microstrip antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 147-150, Hangzou, China, March 24-28, 2008.
14. Wissan, V., M. Baharuddin, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Development of measurement system for circularly polarized synthetic aperture radar," The 16th Remote Sensing Forum --- SICE, RESTEC, 11-12, Tokyo, March 2, 2009 (in Japanese).