Design aspects of high efficiency profiled circular horns feed with smooth wall for the high-power microwave (HPM) system are presented in this paper. The modal content at the circular aperture of horn necessary to closely approximate a linear polarized Gaussian distribution is established. Slope discontinuities along the axis of the horn are then used to generate the necessary waveguide modes with the appropriate amplitudes and phases at the aperture. The performance of the horn is calculated using the mode matching technique. Significant improvement in the performance of radiation over a straight conical horn can be achieved on the premise of high power capacity. The excellent correspondence between the predictions and simulated result by CSTMWS (CST microwave studio) supports this conclusion.
2. Friedman, M., R. Fernsler, S. Slinker, R. Hubbard, and M. Lampe, "Efficient conversion of the energy of intense relativistic electron beams into RF waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 75, 1214, 1995.
3. Gunin, A. V., "Relativistic X-band BWO with 3-GW output power," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 26, 326-331, 1998.
4. Radaky, W. A. and C. E. Baum, "Introduction to the special issue on high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) and intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 3, 314-321, 2004.
5. Wang, H., J. Li, H. Li, K. Xiao, and H. Chen, "Experimental study and spice simulation of CMOS inverters latch-up effects due to high power microwave interference," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 313-330, 2008.
6. Clarricoats, P. J. B. and A. D. Olver, Corrugated Horns for Microwave Antennas, IEE Press, 1984.
7. Agee, F. J., "Evolution of pulse shortening research in narrow band, high power microwave sources," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 26, 235, 1998.
8. Gonzalo, R. and J. Teniente, "Improved radiation pattern performance of Gaussian profiled horn antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1505-1513, 2002.
9. Huang, H. J., Microwave Theory, Science Presss, 1963.
10. Chan, K. K. and S. K. Rao, "Design of high efficiency circular horn feeds for multibeam reflector applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 253-258, 2008.
11. Li, H. and Z. F. Zhong, "Design high power and high efficient multimode feed by MMT," High Power Laser and Particle Beam, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1243-1246, 2005.
12. Gentili, G. G., "Properties of TE-TM mode-matching techniques," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 39, 1669-1673, 1991.
13. Gen, M. and R. Cheng, Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Optimization [M], John Wiley & Sons, NY, 2000.
14. Michael, P. P. and C. Rong, "A high efficiency launcher and mirror system for use in a 110 GHz TE22,6 mode gyrotron," Int. J. Infrared Milli. Waves, Vol. 28, 207-218, 2007.
15. Jamnejad, V. and A. Hoorfar, "Design of corrugated horn antennas by evolutionary optimization techniques," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, No. 1, 276-279, 2004.
16. Lucci, L. and R. Nesti, "Phase centre optimization in profiled corrugated circular horns with parallel genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 127-142, 2008.
17. Potter, P. D., "A new horn antenna with suppressed side lobes and equal beamwidth," Microwave J., Vol. 6, 71-78, 1963.