Low-frequency ultra-wideband synthetic aperture radar is a promising technology for landmine detection. According to the scattering characteristics of body-of-revolution (BOR) along with azimuth angles, a discriminator based on Bayesian decision rule is proposed, which uses sequential features, i.e. double-hump distance. First, the algorithm estimates the target scatterings in all azimuth angles based on regions of interest. Second, sequential aspect features are extracted by sparse time-frequency representation. Third, the distributions of features are obtained by training samples, and then the posterior probability of landmine class is computed as an input to the classifier adopting Mahalanobis distance. The experimental results indicate that the proposed algorithm is effective in BOR target discrimination.
2. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave X-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008.
3. International Campaign to Ban Landmines Monitor Report: Toward a Mine-Free World, 2006.
4. Lange, D. J. and E. Breejen, "Airborne multi-spectral minefield survey," Advanced Sensory Payloads for UAV, 18-1-18-8, 2005.
5. McFeea, J. E., et al., "Landmine detection using passive hyperspectral imaging," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 6554, 655404-01-655404-13, 2007.
6. Cremer, F., et al., "Stand-off thermal IR minefield survey: System concept and experimental results," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 5794, 209-220, 2005.
7. Moustafa, K. and K. F. A. Hussein, "Performance evaluation of separated aperture sensor GPR system for land mine detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 21-37, 2007.
8. Moussally, G., R. Fries, and R. Bortins, "Ground-penetrating synthetic-aperture radar for wide-area airborne minefield detection," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 5415, 1042-1052, 2004.
9. Kositsky, J., R. Cosgrove, and C. Amazeen, "Results from a forward-looking GPR mine detection system," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 4394, 700-711, 2001.
10. Bradley, M., et al., "Mine detection with a forward-looking ground-penetrating synthetic aperture radar," Proc. of SPIE, 334-347, 2003.
11. Chang, Y.-L., C.-Y. Chiang, and K.-S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
12. Gao, G., et al., "Fast detecting and locating groups of targets in high-resolution SAR images," Pattern Recognition, Vol. 40, 1378-1384, 2007.
13. Wang, T. P., et al., "Frequency subband processing and feature analysis of forward-looking ground-penetrating radar signals for land-mine detection," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 3, 718-729, 2007.
14. Sun, Y. J. and J. Li, "Plastic landmine detection using time-frequency analysis for forward-looking ground penetrating radar," Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 5089, 851-862, 2005.
15. Han, S.-K., H.-T. Kim, S.-H. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 131-140, 20110.
16. Jin, T., et al., "The evidence framework applied to fuzzy hyper-sphere SVM for UWB SAR landmine detection," Proceedings of ICSP, Vol. 3, 16-20, 2006.
17. Liao, K.-F., X.-L. Zhang, and J. Shi, "Fast 3-D microwave imaging method based on subaperture approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 333-353, 2012.
18. Ji, S. H., R. Parr, and L. Carin, "Nonmyopic multiaspect sensing with partially observable Markov decision processes," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2720-2730, 2007.
19. Chu, X., "Evolution of beam quality and shape of Hermite-Gaussian beam in non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 339-353, 2011.
20. Zhu, M., et al., "A time-frequency atom approach to radar emitter signal feature extraction ," Communications, Circuits and Systems Proceedings, Vol. 1, 615-619, 2006.
21. Rodriguez, I. V., D. Bonar, and M. S. Sacchi, "Microseismic record de-noising using a sparse time-frequency transform," SEG Annual Meeting, 1-6, 2011.
22. Rau, R. and J. H. McClellan, "Analytic models and postprocessing techniques for UWB SAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, No. 4, 1058-1074, 2000.
23. Jin, T., Z. M. Zhou, and W. G. Chang, "Man-made targets pose estimation using time-frequency distribution in UWB SAR," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS, Vol. 7, 4633-4635, 2005.
24. Vitebskiy, S., L. Carin, and M. A. Ressler, "Ultra-wideband, short-pulse ground-penetrating radar: Simulation and measurement," IEEE Transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, No. 3, 762-77, 1997.
25. Jin, T. and Z. M. Zhou, "Feature extraction and discriminator design for landmine detection on double-hump signature in ultrawideband SAR ," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 11, 3783-3791, 2008.
26. Ma, S. W., et al., "Parametric adaptive time-frequency representation based on time-sheared Gabor atoms," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-7, 2007.
27. Li, J., S. Zhang, and J. Chang, "Applications of compressed sensing for multiple transmitters multiple azimuth beams SAR imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 259-275, 2012.
28. Conte, E., A. Demaio, and C. Galdi, "Statistical analysis of real clutter at different range resolutions," IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 3, 903-918, 2004.
29. Xiang, S. M., F. P. Nie, and C. S. Zhang, "Learning a mahalanobis distance metric for data clustering and classification," Pattern Recognition, Vol. 41, No. 12, 3600-3612, 2008.
30. Song, Q., et al., "Results from an airship-mounted ultra-wideband synthetic aperture radar for penetrating surveillance," Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 194-197, Seoul, Korea, 2011.
31. Habib, M. A., M. Barkat, B. Aïssa, and T. A. Denidni, "Ca-CFAR detection performance of radar targets embedded in `non centered Chi-2 gamma' clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 135-148, 2008.
32. Pinel, N., C. Bourlier, and J. Saillard, "Forward radar propagation over oil slicks on sea surfaces using the ament model with shadowing effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 95-126, 2007.
33. Owolawi, P. A., "Rainfall rate probability density evaluation and mapping for the estimation of rain attenuation in South Africa and surrounding islands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 155-181, 2011.