Omni-directional antennas are useful for variety of wireless communication devices as well as capable of handling the additional different frequency bands since the radiation pattern allows good transmission and reception from a mobile unit. However, to implement the two frequencies on a single antenna with wide bandwidth can be significant because of the presence of mutual coupling and interference effects between the two radiating elements. In this paper, a novel method of combining dual-band frequencies onto a single layer board with wide bandwidth is described. A dual-band printed dipole antenna is designed in this study by combining a rectangular and two "L" shaped radiating elements and are embedded on a single layer structure with relatively small size. The obtained results show that the proposed dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna achieves high antenna efficiency and provides better bandwidth while maintaining the structural compact size.
2. Su, S. W. and J. H. Chou, "Low-cost flat metal-plate dipole antenna for 2.4/5-GHz WLAN operation," Microwave. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, 1686-1687, 2008.
3. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dual-band CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
4. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
5. Jolani, F., A. M. Dadgarpour, and H. R. Hassani, "Compact mslot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008.
6. Chen, H. -M., J.-M. Chen, P.-S. Cheng, and T.-F. Lin, "Feed for dual-band printed dipole antenna," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 21, 1320-1322, 2004.
7. Kim, M. J., C. S. Cho, and J. Kim, "A dual-band printed dipole antenna with spiral structure for WLAN application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 910-912, 2005.
8. Su, S.-W. and J.-H. Chou, "Compact coaxial-line-fed flat-plane dipole antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, 420-422, 2008.
9. Alkanhal, M. A. S., "Composite compact triple-band microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 221-236, 2009.
10. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
11. Geng, J. P., J. J. Li, R. H. Jin, S. Ye, X. L. Liang, and M. Z. Li, "The development of curved microstrip antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 53-73, 2009.
12. Wang, C.-J. and S.-W. Chang, "Studies on dual-band multi-slot antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 293-306, 2008.
13. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
14. Behera, S. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip square ring antenna for dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 41-56, 2009.
15. Roy, J. S. and M. Thomas, "Design of a circularly polarized microstrip antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 79-90, 2008.
16. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley and Sons, 2003.
17. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Dual-band and wideband design of a printed dipole antenna integrated with dual-band balun," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 165-174, 2009.