This paper presents a new hybrid finite-difference frequency domain --- mode-matching method (FDFD-MM) for the analysis of electromagnetic wave scattering from configuration of metallic or dielectric cylindrical posts with arbitrary cross-section. In our approach each scatterer is treated as an effective circular cylinder represented by impedance matrix defined in its local coordinate system. In order to obtain the scattering parameters of arbitrary configuration of objects in global coordinate system an analytical iterative scattering procedure (ISP) is applied. This work is an extension of our previously published results, where our consideration were limited to two dimensional (2D) problems with TM excitation. In this paper we extended our analysis to two-and-a-half dimensional (2.5D) problems. The accuracy of the proposed method is presented and discussed. To verify our approach some numerical examples are presented. The obtained results are compared with the results published in literature and the ones obtained from own measurements and commercial software.
2. Kildal, P.-S., A. A. Kishk, and A. Tengs, "Reduction of forward scattering from cylindrical objects using hard surfaces," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 44, 1509-1520, Nov. 1996.
3. Yasumoto, K., H. Toyama, and T. Kushta, "Accurate analysis of two-dimensional electromagnetic scattering from multilayered periodic arrays of circular cylinders using lattice sums technique," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 52, 2603-2611, Oct. 2004.
4. Toyama, H. and K. Yasumoto, "Electromagnetic scattering from periodic arrays of composite circular cylinder with internal cylindrical scatterers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 52, 321-333, 2005.
5. Gimeno, B., J. L. Cruz, E. A. Navarro, and V. Such, "A polarizer rotator system for three-dimensional oblique incidence," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 42, No. 7, 912-919, Jul. 1994.
6. Lech, R., M. Mazur, and J. Mazur, "Analysis and design of a polarizer rotator system," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 56, No. 3, 844-847, Mar. 2008.
7. Coccioli, R., A. Morini, G. Pelosi, and T. Rozzi, "Design of tolerance-corrected filters employing half-cylinder posts," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 46, No. 1, 116-118, Jan. 1998.
8. Bachiller, C., H. Esteban, V. E. Boria, J. V. Morro, L. J. Rogla, M. Taroncher, and A. Belenguer, "Efficient CAD tool of direct-coupled-cavities filters with dielectric resonators," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2005, Vol. 1B, 578-581, 2005.
9. Shen, T., K. A. Zaki, and C. Wang, "Tunable dielectric resonators with dielectric tuning disks," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 48, No. 12, 2439-2445, Dec. 2000.
10. Dittloff, J., F. Arndt, and D. Grauerholz, "Optimum design of waveguide E-plane stub-loaded phase shifters," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 36, No. 3, 582-587, Mar. 1988.
11. Gaiewski, W. R., L. P. Dunleavy, and A. J. Castro, "Analysis and measurement of mode polarizers in square waveguide," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 45, No. 6, 997-1000, Jun. 1997.
12. Sabbagh, M. E. and K. Zaki, "Modeling of rectangular waveguide junctions containing cylindrical posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 299-331, PIER 33, 2001.
13. Arena, D., M. Ludovico, G. Manara, and A. Monorchio, "Analysis of waveguide discontinuities using edge elements in a hybrid mode matching/finite elements approach," IEEE MWCL, Vol. 11, No. 9, 379-381, Sep. 2001.
14. Crino, V., M. Mongiardo, and C. Tomassoni, "Comparison between line and surface integral formulations of the hybrid mode-matching/two-dimensional finite element method: Research articles," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 17, No. 6, 575-592, Nov. 2004.
15. Catina, V., F. Arndt, and J. Brandt, "Hybrid surface integral-equation/mode-matching method for the analysis of dielectric loaded waveguide filters of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3562-3567, Nov. 2005.
16. Abd-Alhameed, R. A., P. S. Excell, M. A. Mangoud, and J. A. Vaul, "Computation of radiated and scattered field using separate frequency domain moment-method regions and frequencyv domain MoM-FDTD hybrid methods," IEE Antennas and Propagation 1999 National Conference, Vol. 30, Mar./Apr. 1999.
17. Rogier, H., "A new hybrid FDTD-BIE approach to model electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 3, 138-140, Mar. 1998.
18. Xu, F. and W. Hong, "Analysis of two dimensions sparse multicylinder scattering problem using DD-FDTD method," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2612-2617, Oct. 2004.
19. Sharkawy, M. A., V. Demir, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Plane wave scattering from three dimensional multiple objects using the iterative multiregion technique based on the FDFD method," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 54, No. 2, 666-673, Feb. 2006.
20. Esteban, H., S. Cogollos, V. E. Boria, A. S. Blas, and M. Ferrando, "A new hybrid mode-matching/numerical method for the analysis of arbitrarily shaped inductive obstacles and discontinuities in rectangular waveguides," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1219-1224, Apr. 2002.
21. Arndt, F., V. Catina, and J. Brandt, "Efficient hybrid MM/MoM technique for the CAD of circular combline filters with resonators of more general shape," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1407-1410, 2004.
22. Polewski, M. and J. Mazur, "Scattering by an array of conducting lossy dielectric, ferrite and pseudochiral cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 38, 283-310, 2002.
23. Polewski, M., R. Lech, and J. Mazur, "Rigorous modal analysis of structures containing inhomogeneous dielectric cylinders," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1508-1516, May 2004.
24. Kusiek, A., R. Lech, and J. Mazur, "A new hybrid method for analysis of scattering from arbitrary configuration of cylindrical objects," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1725-1733, Jun. 2008.
25. Quick Wave 3D, QWED, , Warsaw, Poland, 2006.
26. Taflove, A., "The Finite-difference Time-domain Method," Artech House, 1995.
27. Dey, S. and R. Mittra, "A conformal finite-difference time-domain technique for modeling cylindrical dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1737-1739, Sep. 1999.
28. Kaneda, N., B. Housmand, and T. Itoh, "FDTD analysis of dielectric resonators with curved surfaces," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1645-1649, Sep. 1997.
29. Kowalczyk, P., M. Wiktor, and M. Mrozowski, "Efficient finite difference analysis of microstructured optical fibers," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 25, 10349-10359, Dec. 2005.
30. Dahlquist, G. and A. Bjrck, Numerical Methods, Prentice Hall, 1974.
31. Kusiek, A., P. Kowalczyk, and J. Mazur, "Analysis of scattering from arbitrary configuration of elliptical obstacles using T-matrix representation," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 10, 434-441, Aug. 2008.
32. Tsalamengas, J. L., I. O. Vardiambasis, and J. G. Fikioris, "Plane-wave scattering by strip-loaded circular dielectric cylinders in the case of oblique incidence and arbitrary polarization," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 43, No. 10, 1099-1108, Oct. 1995.