Analysis and design of a narrow aperture coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) fed by dielectric image line (DIL) are presented. The modal expansion method is used to describe the fields in the dielectric resonator side and the change in the modal voltage of the image line at the aperture is developed to analyze the single element DRA. The DIL is connected to the Xband rectangular waveguide through a waveguide transition and DIL tapering is used to match between the waveguide and the DIL.
2. Shin, J., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, Analysis of rectangular dielectric resonator antennas excited through a slot over a finite ground plane, IEEE AP-S International Symposium, Vol. 4, No. 7, 2076-2079, 2000.
3. Coulibaly, Y. and T. A. Denidni, "Design of a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006.
4. Fayad, H. and P. Record, "Multi-feed dielectric resonator antenna with reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 341-356, 2007.
5. Rezaei, M., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wideband dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
6. Antar, Y. M. M. and Z. Fan, Theoretical investigation of aperture-coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna, IEE Proc.-Antennas Propag., Vol. 143, No. 2, 113-118, 1996.
7. Yau, D. and N. V. Shuley, "Numerical analysis of coupling between Dielectric image guide and microstrip," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 15, 2215-2230, 2006.
8. Kanamaluru, S., M. Y. Li, and K. Chang, "Aperture coupled microstrip antenna with image line feed," IEEE AP-S Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1186-1189, 1994.
9. Kanamaluru, S., M. Li, and K. Chang, "Analysis and design of aperture coupled microstrip patch antennas and arrays fed by dielectric image line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 7, 964-974, 1996.
10. Pozar, D., "A reciprocity method of analysis for printed slot and slot-coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 12, 1439-1446, 1986.
11. HFSS: High Frequency Structure Simulator Based on Finite Element Method, v. 9.2.1, Ansoft Corporation, 2004., 2004.
12. Bhartia, P. and I. J. Bahl, Millimeter-Wave Engineering and Applications, Wiley, New York, 1984.
13. Dydyk, M., "Image guide: A promising medium for EHF circuits," Microwaves, No. 4, 71-80, 1981.
14. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, 1997.
15. Knox, R. M. and P. P. Toulios, Integrated circuits for the millimeter through optical frequency range, Proc. Symp. Submillimeter Waves, 497-516, 1970.
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
17. Kolundzija, B. M., J. S. Ognjanovic, and T. K. Sarkar, WIPL-D: Electromagnetic Modeling of Composite Metallic and Dielectric Structures, Software and User's Manual, Artech House, Reading, MA, 2000.