Recently, a marching-on in degree finite difference method (MOD-FDM) was employed in the finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) formulation to obtain unconditionally stable transient responses. The objective of this work is to implement a plane wave excitation in the MOD-FDM formulation for scattering problems for an open region. This formulation has volume electric and magnetic current densities related to the incident field in Maxwell's equations explicitly. Numerical results computed by the proposed formulation are presented and compared with the solutions of the conventional FDTD method.
2. Uduwawala, D., M. Norgren, P. Fuks, and A. Gunawardena, "A complete FDTD simulation of a real GPR antenna system operating above lossy and dispersive grounds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 209-229, 2005.
3. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "A finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) software for simulation of printed circuit board (PCB) assembly," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 299-335, 2005.
4. Young, J. L. and R. Adams, "Excitation and detection of waves in the FDTD analysis of N-port networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 249-269, 2005.
5. Gao, S., L. W. Li, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005.
6. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR applications: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 20, No. 2, 227-236, 2006.
7. Ding, W., Y. Zhang, P. Y. Zhu, and C. H. Liang, "Study on electromagnetic problems involving combinations of arbitrarily oriented thin-wire antennas and inhomogeneous dielectric objects with a hybrid MoM-FDTD method," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 20, No. 11, 1519-1533, 2006.
8. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3-D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 20, No. 13, 1761-1774, 2006.
9. Chung, Y.-S., T. K. Sarkar, and B. H. Jung, "Solution of a time-domain magnetic-field integral equation for arbitrarily closed conducting bodies using an unconditionally stable methodology," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 6, 493-499, 2002.
10. Jung, B. H., Y.-S. Chung, and T. K. Sarkar, "Time-domain EFIE, MFIE, and CFIE formulations using Laguerre polynomials as temporal basis functions for the analysis of transient scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 39, 1-45, 2003.
11. Jung, B. H., T. K. Sarkar, and Y.-S. Chung, "Solution of time domain PMCHW formulation for transient electromagnetic scattering from arbitrarily shaped 3-D dielectric objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 45, 291-312, 2004.
12. Jung, B. H., T. K. Sarkar, and M. Salazar-Palma, "Time domain EFIE and MFIE formulations for analysis of transient electromagnetic scattering from 3-D dielectric objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 113-142, 2004.
13. Lee, Y.-H., B. H. Jung, T. K. Sarkar, M. Yuan, Z. Ji, and S.- O. Park, "TD-CFIE formulation for transient electromagnetic scattering from 3-D dielectric objects," ETRI Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1, 8-17, 2007.
14. Jung, B. H., Z. Ji, T. K. Sarkar, M. Salazar-Palma, and M. Yuan, "A comparison of marching-on in time method with marching-on in degree method for the TDIE solver," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 281-296, 2007.
15. Chung, Y.-S., T. K. Sarkar, B. H. Jung, and M. Salazar- Palma, "An unconditionally stable scheme for the finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Technol., Vol. 51, No. 3, 697-704, 2003.
16. Shao, W., B.-Z. Wang, and Z.-J. Yu, "Space-domain finite difference and time-domain moment method for electromagnetic simulation," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 1, 10-18, 2006.
17. Ding, P.-P., G. Wang, H. Lin, and B.-Z. Wang, "Unconditionally stable FDTD formulation with UPML-ABC," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 4, 161-163, 2006.
18. Shao, W., B.-Z. Wang, and X.-F. Liu, "Second-order absorbing boundary conditions for marching-on-in-order scheme," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 5, 308-310, 2006.
19. Shao, W., B.-Z. Wang, X.-H. Wang, and X.-F. Liu, "Efficient compact 2-D time-domain method with weighted Laguerre polynomials," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 3, 442-448, 2006.
20. Alighanbari, A. and C. D. Sarris, "An unconditionally stable Laguerre-based S-MRTD time-domain scheme," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 69-72, 2006.
21. Yi, Y., B. Chen, H.-L. Chen, and D.-G. Fang, "TF/SF boundary and PML-ABC for an unditionally stable FDTD method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 91-93, 2007.
22. Luebbers, R. J., K. S. Kunz, and K. A. Chamberlin, "An interactive demonstration of electromagnetic wave propagation using time-domain finite differences," IEEE Trans. Educ., Vol. 33, No. 1, 60-68, 1990.
23. Maloney, J. G. and G. S. Smith, "Modeling of antennas," Advances in Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time- Domain Method, 1998.
24. Yuan, M., A. De, T. K. Sarkar, J. Koh, and B. H. Jung, "Conditions for generation of stable and accurate hybrid TD-FD MoM solutions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2552-2563, 2006.
25. Rao, S. M., Time Domain Electromagnetics, Academic Press, 1999.