This paper presents an optimum design technique ofan asymmetric V-dipole antenna and it's a three-element Yagi-Uda array using Genetic Algorithm (GA). The optimization parameter for the V-dipole is the directivity and that for the Yagi-Uda array are the input impedance and directivity. The theoretical analysis has been done using a Moment-Method technique in a very simple step-by-step way, and subsequently the GA is applied for obtaining the optimized parameters. Comparative results are provided for 3-elements straight dipole Yagi and V-dipole Yagi array. Further, analysis for directivity with respect to included angle is given for the GA based optimization problem that gives an important aspect in the design of V-Yagi.
2. Thiele and Ekelman, "Design formulas for V-dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., No. 7, 1980.
3. Wang, J. H., L. Jen, and S. S. Jian, "Optimization ofthe dipole shapes for maximum peak values of the radiating pulse," Institute ofLigh t Wave Technology.
4. Chiao, J.-C. and D. Rutledge, Microswitch beam-steering grid, Intl. Conference on Millimeter and Submillimeter Waves and Applications, No. 1, 1994.
5. Chiao, J. C., MEMS reconfigurable vee antenna, Proc. IEEE MITs International Symposium, 1999.
6. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, International student's edition, 2000.
7. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994.
8. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-20, 1997.
9. Chen, C. A. and D. K. Chen, "Optimum element lengths for Yagi-Uda arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-23, No. 1, 8-15, 1995.
10. Jones, E. A. and W. T. Joines, "Design of Yagi-Uda antennas using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 9, 1386-1392, 1997.
11. Harrington, R. F., Field Computations by Moment-Method, Macmillan, New York, 1968.
12. Wan, J. X., J. Lei, and C. H. Liang, "An efficient analysis oflargescale periodic microstrip antenna arrays using the characteristic basis function method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 61-81, 2005.
13. Fikioris, G. and C. A. Valagiannopoulos, "Input admittances arising from explicit solutions to integral equations for infinitelength dipole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 285-306, 2005.
14. Eroglue, A. and J. K. Lee, "Dyadic Green's functions for an electrically gyrotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 223-241, 2006.
15. Sijher, T. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using GA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 225-254, 2005.
16. Misra, I. S., A. Roychowdhury, K. K. Mallik, and M. N. Roy, "Design and optimization ofa non planar multidipole array using genetic algorithms for mobile communications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 32, No. 2, 301-304, 2002.
17. Misra, I. S., B. B. Mangaraj, and V. Durgaprasad, A suitable design technique ofY agi-Uda antennas using genetic algorithm coupled with method ofmomen ts, Proc. APSYM-2002, 81-85.
18. Yan, K. K. and Y. Lu, "Sidelobe reduction in array pattern synthesis using genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1117-1122, 1997.