Recently, a new boundary condition is introduced in which surface shows different impedances for TE and TM electromagnetic fields. This new boundary condition is called mixed-impedance (MI) boundary condition and can be expressed in terms of normal components of electromagnetic fields. In this paper, the cylindrical structures with MI boundary condition were investigated and the scattering of such structures was obtained for both normal and oblique incidence and both TEZ and TMZ polarizations. The interesting feature of MI boundary condition was that the boundary conditions of PEC, PMC, DB, D'B', and isotropic impedance boundaries were special cases of the MI boundary. Therefore, by calculating the electromagnetic scattering from a MI boundary, scattering from various boundary conditions could be easily obtained. It was also demonstrated that, by proper choice of boundary conditions the forward or backward RCS (radar cross section) could be significantly increased or decreased.
2. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Perfect electromagnetic conductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 7, 861-869, 2005.
3. Kildal, P. S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetic," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 10, 1537-1544, 1990.
4. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary conditions defined in terms of normal field components," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1128-1135, Apr. 2010.
5. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Uniaxial IB-medium interface and novel boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 694-700, Mar. 2009.
6. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Electromagnetic boundary condition and its realization with anisotropic metamaterial," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, No. 2, 026604-7, 2009.
7. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Simple skewon medium realization of DB boundary conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 29-39, 2012.
8. Zalu·ski, D., D. Muha, and S. Hrabar, "Numerical investigation and possible realization of metamaterial-based DB boundary surface," Proc. on ICECOM, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 251-253, 2010.
9. Lindell, I. V. and A. Sihvola, "Zero axial parameter (ZAP) sheet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 213-224, 2009.
10. Lindell, I. V., A. Sihvola, L. Bergamin, and A. Favaro, "Realization of the D'B' boundary condition," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 643-646, 2011.
11. Wallen, H., I. V. Lindell, and A. Sihvola, "Mixed-impedance boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1580-1586, May 2011.
12. Lindell, I. V., A. Sihvola, P. Yla-Oijala, and H. Wallen, "Zero backscattering from self-dual objects of finite size," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2725-2731, Sep. 2009.
13. Balanis, A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.