In this paper, a novel double-band integrated antenna for applications in WLAN is presented and studied. Based on the mature dipole theory, radiation elements are printed on the two faces of a low cost FR4 substrate. The two dipoles are designed on the sides of the feedline, which can reduce the impact of each other availably. The distance between the two arms and the width of the arms plays an important role in improving the impedance matching. Furthermore, by folding the arms efficiently, the current distribution of the proposed antenna is extended, and the dimensions of the proposed antenna can be reduced. The size of the designed antenna is just 34mm×24mm×1mm (about 0.27λ×0.19λ×0.008λ, λ is the wavelength relative to the frequency 2.4 GHz). Moreover, the prototype of the antenna is constructed and tested, which shows a good agreement with simulated result. The measured bandwidths, ranging from 2.35 GHz to 2.61 GHz and from 4.7 GHz to 6.0 GHz respectively, are obtained with return loss less than -9.54 dB (about 2:1 VSWR). The proposed antenna covers 2.4/5 GHz WLAN bands, and radiation patterns with good omni- directional radiation in the operating frequency are observed.
2. Row, J. S., "Dual-frequency triangular planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE. Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 874-876, 2005.
3. Zhou, S., J. Guo, Y. Hang, and Q. Liu, "Broadband dual frequency sleeve monopole antenna for DTV/GSM application," Electron.Lett., Vol. 45, No. 15, 2009.
4. Spence, T. G. and D. H. Werner, "A novel miniature broadband/multiband antenna based on an end-loaded planar open-sleeve dipole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 3614-3620, 2006.
5. Chen, H. D. and H. T. Chen, "A CPW-fed dual-frequency monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 978-982, 2004.
6. Wu, P., Z. Kuai, and X. Zhu, "Multiband antennas comprising multiple frame-printed dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 3313-3316, 2009.
7. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
8. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Multiple frequency notched planar monopole antenna for multi-band wireless system," Proc. 35th Eur. Microw. Conf.,, 1935-1937, Paris, France, 2005.
9. Prommak, C., J. Kabara, D. Tipper, and C. Charnsripinyo, "Next generation wireless LAN system design," Proc. MILCOM, Vol. 1, 473-477, 2002.
10. Zhang, J., X.-M. Zhang, J.-S. Liu, Q.-F. Wu, T. Ying, and H. Jin, "Dual-band bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN 2.4/5.8 GHz applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 2009.
11. Chen, H.-M., J.-M. Chen, P.-S. Cheng, and Y.-F. Lin, "Microstrip-fed printed dipole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz WLAN operation," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, 2584-2587, 2004.
12. Chang, D.-C., C.-B. Chang, and J.-C. Liu, "Modified planar quasi-yagi antenna for WLAN dual-band operations," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 5, 443-446, 2005.
13. Liu, W.-C. and H.-J. Liu, "Compact triple-band slotted monopole antenna with asymmetrical CPW grounds," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 2006.
14. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007.
15. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
16. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007.
17. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4-, 5.2-, and 5.8-GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1903-1905, 2004.
18. Jolani, F., A. M. Dadgarpour, and H. R. Hassani, "Compact M-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008.