A microstrip bandpass filter is presented based on Complementary Split Ring Resonators (CSRRs) and a pair of open-loop resonators that has a single pair of transmission zeros at finite frequencies that causes an improvement at skirt response. An equivalent circuit is introduced to make analysis and optimization faster. Finally a filter is designed using the proposed cell and the simulation results with both equivalent model and full wave analysis are in very good agreement. The filter was fabricated and the measurement result was also in good agreement with simulation results. Besides, the size of the designed filter is very small and it occupies an area less than 0.23λg × 0.16λg, where λg is the guided wavelength at the midband frequency.
2. Marques, R., J. Martel, F. Mesa, and F. Medina, "Left handed media simulation and transmission of EM waves in sub-wavelength SRR-loaded metallic waveguides," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 89, 183901(1)-183901(4), 2002.
3. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterial," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 197401, 2004.
4. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE. Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
5. Bonache, J., M. Gil, I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "On the electrical characteristics of complementary metamaterial resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 10, 543-545, 2007.
6. Bonache, J., M. Gil, O. Garcia-Abad, and F. Martin, "Parametric analysis of microstrip lines loaded with complementary split ring resonators," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 2008.
7. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Couplings of microstrip square open-loop resonators for cross-coupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 2099-2109, 1996.
8. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Canonical microstrip filter using square open-loop resonators," IEEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 23, 2020-2022, 1995.
9. Pozar, D. M. and Microwave Engineering, , 3rd Ed., Chapter 6, Wiley, New York, 2005.
10. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters For RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2001.
11. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip cross-coupled trisec-tion bandpass filters with asymmetric frequency characteristics," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 1, 84-90, 1999.
12. Levy, R., "Direct synthesis of cascaded quadruplet (CQ) filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 2940-2944, 1995.
13. Tsai, C.-M., S.-Y. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Performance of a planar filter using a zero-degree feed structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, 2362-2367, 2002.
14. Zhou, L., S. Liu, H. F. Zhang, X.-K. Kong, and Y.-N. Guo, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using improved split ring resonators based on stepped impedance resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 57-63, 2011.
15. Fallahzadeh, S. and M. Tayarani, "A compact microstrip bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 167-172, 2009.