Excitation and propagation of a pulse electromagnetic wave in an open circular dielectric waveguide is considered. Partition of the pulse field into radiated wave, surface wave, and guided wave has been revealed and the corresponding physical effects are interpreted directly in the time domain. Namely it was shown that there is a precursor at the rod axis that propagates with speed of light in free space, it originates from the pulse surface wave that propagates along the rod surface and radiates into the rod in a Cherenkov like manner.
2. Tamir, T., "Leaky waves in planar optical waveguides," Nuov. Rev. Optique, Vol. 6, No. 5, 273-284, 1975.
3. Jablonski, T. F., "Complex modes in open lossless dielectric waveguides," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1272-1282, April 1994.
4. Arcone, S. A., "Field observations of electromagnetic pulse propagation in dielectric slabs," Geophysics, Vol. 49, No. 10, 1763-1773, October 1984.
5. Inada, H., "Backscattered short pulse response of surface waves from dielectric spheres," Appl. Opt., Vol. 13, 1928-1933, 1974.
6. Baumgartner, F., J. Munk, and J. Deniels, "A geometric optics model for high-frequency electromagnetic scattering from dielectric cylinders," Geophysics, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1130-1140, July-August 2001.
7. Liu, L. and S. A. Arcone, "Propagation of radar pulses from a horizontal dipole in variable dielectric ground: A numerical approach," Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 1, 5-24, January 2005.
8. McGowan, R. W., R. A. Cheville, and D. R. Grischkowsky, "Experimental study of the surface waves on a dielectric cylinder via terahertz impulse radar ranging," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techn., Vol. 48, No. 3, 417-422, 2000.
9. Legenkiy, M. and A. Butrym, "Impulse signal propagation in open dielectric circular waveguide," Conf. Proc. 2010 Ultrawideband and Ultrashort Signals UWBUSIS, 119-121, Sebastopol, Ukraine, September 6-10, 2010.
10. Hanham, S. and T. Bird, "High efficiency excitation of dielectric rods using a magnetic ring current," IEEE Trans. on Ant. and Prop., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1805-1808, June 2008.
11. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultrawideband Antennas, 301, Artech House, Boston, 2004.
12. Landau, L. D., et al., Electrodynamics of Continuous Media, 468, Pergamon Press, New York, 1984.
13. Zayats, A. V., I. I. Smolyaninov, and A. A. Maradudin, "Nano-optics of surface plasmon polaritons," Physics Reports, Vol. 408, 131-314, 2005.
14. Annan, A. P., "Radio interferometry depth sounding: Part I --- Theoretical discussion," Geophysics, Vol. 38, 557-580, 1973.