In this paper, we have investigated the marginal moment generating function (MMGF) for the correlated Nakagami-m fading channel by using maximal-ratio combining (MRC) diversity scheme at receiver for the computation of the channel capacity for various adaptive transmission schemes such as: 1) optimal simultaneous power and rate adaptation, 2) optimal rate adaptation with constant transmit power, 3) channel inversion with fixed rate, and 4) truncated channel inversion with fixed rate. The effects of diversity receiver as well as correlation coefficients on all these transmission schemes are discussed and the channel capacity obtained by this proposed approach for all schemes is compared with reported literature.
2. Proakis, J. G., Digital Communications, 4th Ed., McGraw-Hill Series, SDLS, 2001.
3. Varzakas, P. and G. S. Tombras, "Spectral efficiency of a cellular MC/DS-CDMA system in Rayleigh fading," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 18, No. 8, 795-801, Oct. 2005.
4. Varzakas, P. and G. S. Tombras, "Spectral efficiency of a single cell multi-carrier DS-CDMA system in Rayleigh fading," Journal of the Franklin Institute-Engineering and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 343, 295-300, 2006.
5. Goldsmith, A. and P. Varaiya, "Capacity of fading channels with channel side information," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 43, No. 6, 1896-Nov. 1992, 1997.
6. Lee, W. C. Y., "Estimate of channel capacity in Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 93, No. 39, 187-189, Aug. 1990.
7. Gunther, C. G., "Comment on estimate of channel capacity in Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 45, No. 2, 401-403, May 1996.
8. Alouini, M. S. and A. J. Goldsmith, "Capacity of Rayleigh fading channels under different adaptive transmission and diversity-combining techniques," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 48, No. 4, 1165-Jul. 1181, 1999.
9. Karagiannidis, G. K., N. C. Sagias, and G. S. Tombras, "New results for the Shannon channel capacity generalized fading channels," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 2, 97-99, Feb. 2005.
10. Khatalin, S. and J. P. Fonseka, "On the channel capacity in Rician and Hoyt fading environment with MRC diversity," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 1, 137-141, Jan. 2006.
11. Khatalin, S. and J. P. Fonseka, "Capacity of correlated Nakagami-m fading channels with diversity combining techniques," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 1, 142-150, Jan. 2006.
12. Mallik, R. K., M. Z. Win, J. W. Shao, M.-S. Alouini, and A. J. Goldsmith, "Channel capacity of adaptive transmission with maximal ratio combining in correlated Rayleigh fading," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 3, No. 4, 1124-1133, Jul. 2004.
13. Zhang, Q. T. and D. P. Liu, Simple capacity formulas for correlated SIMO Nakagami channels, Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf, Vol. 1, 554-556, Apr. 2003.
14. Hamdi, K. A., "Capacity of MRC on correlated Rician fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Commun., Vol. 56, No. 5, 708-711, May 2008.
15. Palat, R. C., A. Annamalai, and J. H. Reed, "An efficient method for evaluating information outage probability and ergodic capacity of OSTBC system," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 3, 191-193, Mar. 2008.
16. Renzo, M. D., F. Graziosi, and F. Santucci, "Channel capacity over generalized fading channels: A novel MGF-based approach for performance analysis and design of wireless communication systems," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, No. 1, 127-149, Jan. 2010.
17. Park, S. Y., D. J. Loveand, and D. H. Kim, "Capacity limits of multi-antenna multicasting under correlated fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Commun., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2002-2013, Jul. 2010.
18. Brennan, D. G., "Linear diversity combining techniques," Proc. IRE, Vol. 47, No. 6, 1075-1102, Jun. 1959.
19. Dwivedi, V. K. and G. Singh, "A novel moment generating function based performance analysis over correlated Nakagami-m fading," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, 373-381, Dec. 2011.
20. Dwivedi, V. K. and G. Singh, "Error-rate analysis of OFDM communication system in correlated Nakagami-m fading channel using maximal ratio combining diversity," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 6, 717-726, Dec. 2011.
21. Aalo, V. A., "Performance of maximal-ratio diversity systems in a correlated Nakagami-fading environment," IEEE Trans. on Commun., Vol. 43, No. 8, 2360-2369, Aug. 1995.
22. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 7th Ed., Academic, New York, 2007.
23. Prudnikov, A. P., Y. A. Brychkov, and O. I. Marichev, Integrals and Series: More Special functions, Vol. 3, Gordon and Breach Science, 1990.
24. Theofilakos, P., A. G. Kanatasand, and G. P. Efthymoglou, "Performance of generalized selection combining receivers in K-fading channels," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 11, 816-818, Nov. 2008.
25. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions: With Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Dover Publications, New York, 1970.