In this paper, periodic structures are investigated in antenna design for wireless applications. These antennas were compared with CRLH miniaturization method. Three different models of patch antenna with coaxial feed on EBG ground, metamaterial substrate or EBG/AMC structure have been presented here. Also two compact dual-band antennas have been designed and fabricated based on CRLH techniques for wireless and GSM applications. The first antenna has directional pattern and operates at 1760, 2550 and 3850 MHz (three-band antenna) with gain 2.1, -3.9 and 2.5 dBi, and it is dual polarized. The size of prototype patch antenna is 20×20 mm2 which is reduced about %47 in comparison to conventional patch antenna at 2.5 GHz. The second antenna is designed by the use of interdigital capacitor and spiral inductor. Dimensions of antenna are 15.5×12 mm2, so the size is reduced about %69 in comparison to conventional microstrip patch antennas at 1.8 GHz. The second tri-band antenna operates at 1060 MHz, 1800 MHz and 2500 MHz in which two frequencies (1.8 and 2.5 GHz) are suitable for GMS and WLAN applications. Both structures have been designed and fabricated on FR4 low cost substrate with εr=4.4 and thickness of 1.6mm. All simulations are done with CST and HFSS. Equivalent circuit and experimental results are also presented and compared.
2. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008.
3. Liu, , J.-C., B.-H. Zeng, C.-Y. Liu, H.-C.Wu, and C.-C. Chang, "A dual-mode aperture-coupled stack antenna for WLAN dual-band and circular polarization applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 17, 193-202, 2010.
4. Ramli, N. H., M. R. Kamarudin, N. A. Samsuri, E. N. Ahyat, A. Y. Abdulrahman, and M. F. B. Jamlos, "A 6.0 GHz small printed monopole antenna for wireless implantable body area network (WiBAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 189-200, 2013.
5. Lee, B. and F. J. Harackiewicz, "Miniature microstrip antenna with a partially filled high permittivity substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1160-1162, 2002.
6. Hu, Y., Y. J. Zhang, and J. Fan, "Equivalent circuit model of coaxial probes for patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 281-296, 2012.
7. Xiao, S., B.-Z. Wang, W. Shao, and Y. Zhang, "Bandwidth-enhancing ultralow-profile compact patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3443-3447, 2005.
8. Alam, M. S., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "A novel compact split ring slotted electromagnetic bandgap structure for microstrip patch antenna performance enhancement ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 389-409, 2012.
9. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008.
10. Sayem, A. T. M. and M. Ali, "Characteristics of a microstrip-fed miniature printed Hilbert slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 1-18, 2006.
11. Li, M., H.-L. Yang, X.-W. Hou, Y. Tian, and D.-Y. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
12. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "A substrate for small patch antennas providing tunable miniaturization factors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, 135-146, 2006.
13. Bilotti, F., A. Alu, and L. Vegni, "Design of miniaturized metamaterial patch antennas with \mu-negative loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1640-1647, 2008.
14. Gurel, L., A. Unal, and T. Malas, "Fast and accurate analysis of large metamaterial structures using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 179-198, 2009.
15. Majid, H. A., M. K. Abd Rahim, and T. Masri, "Microstrip antenna's gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 235-247, 2009.
16. Zhao , L., D. Yang, H. Tian, Y. Ji, and K. Xu, "A pole and AMC point matching method for the synthesis of HSF-UC-EBG structure with simultaneous AMC and EBG properties," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 137-157, 2013.
17. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, 2012.
18. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband dual-mode monopole antenna using NRI-TL metamaterial loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters,", Vol. 8, 258-261, 2009.
19. Niu, J.-X., "Dual-band dual-mode patch antenna based on resonant-type metamaterial transmission line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 4, 266-268, 2010.
20. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact transmission-line metamaterial antenna with extended bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 298-298, 2009.
21. Azimi Fashi, A., M. Kamyab, and M. Barati, "A microstrip small-sized array antenna based on the meta-material zeroth-order resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 89-101, 2010.
22. Rafael Booket, M., M. Veysi, Z. Atlasbaf, and A. Jafargholi, "Ungrounded composite right-/left-handed metamaterials design, synthesis and applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 11, 1259-1268, 2012.
23. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, J.-G. Lee, and J.-H. Lee, "Epsilon negative zeroth-order resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 12, 3710-3712, 2007.
24. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
25. Oh, J. and K. Sarabandi, "Low profile, miniaturized, inductively coupled capacitively loaded monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1206-1213, 2012.
26. Selvanayagam, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact printed antenna with an embedded double-tuned metamaterial matching network," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2354-2361, 2010.
27. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012.
28. Zhu, J., M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact tri-band monopole antenna with single-cell metamaterial loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1031-1038, 2010.