We provide a sucient condition to select the parameters of Type 3 Non-Uniform Fast Fourier Transform (NUFFT) algorithms based on the Gaussian gridding to fulll a prescribed accuracy. This is a problem of signicant interest in many areas of applied electromagnetics, as for example fast antenna analysis and synthesis and fast calculation of the scattered elds, as well as in medical imaging comprising ultrasound tomography, computed axial tomography, positron emission tomogr aphy and magnetic resonance imaging. The approach is related to the one dimensional case and follows the work in A. Dutt and V. Rokhlin, SIAM J. Sci. Comp. 14 (1993). The accuracy of the proposed choice is rst numerically assessed and then compared to that achieved by the approach in J.-Y. Lee and L. Greengard, J. Comp. Phys. 206 (2005). The convenience of the strategy devised in this paper is shown. Finally, the use of the Type 3 NUFFT is highlighted for an electromagnetic application consisting of the implementation of the aggregation and disaggregation steps in the fast calculation of the scattered eld by the Fast Multipole Method.
2. Lee, J.-Y. and L. Greengard, "The type 3 nonuniform FFT and its applications," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 206, No. 1, 1-5, Jun. 2005.
3. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "GPU-based ω-k tomographic processing by 1D non-uniform FFTs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 23, 279-298, 2012.
4. Liu, Q. H., X. M. Xu, B. Tian, and Z. Q. Zhang, "Applications of nonuniform fast transform algorithms in numerical solutions of differential and integral equations," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 38, No. 4, 1551-1560, Jul. 2000.
5. Li, J.-R., D. Calhoun, and L. Brush, "EffIcient thermal FIeld computation in phase-field models," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 228, No. 24, 8945-8957, Dec. 2009.
6. Bakir, O., H. Bagci, and E. Michielssen, "Adaptive integral method with fast Gaussian gridding for solving combined field integral equations," Waves Random Media, Vol. 19, No. 1, 147-161, Feb. 2009.
7. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "2D fast multipole method (FMM) via type-3 non-uniform FFTs (NUFFTs)," Proc. of the Loughborough Conf. on Antennas Prop., 1-4, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 12-13, 2012.
8. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, A. Liseno, and P. Vinetti, "Fast CPU/GPU pattern evaluation of irregular arrays," Applied Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J., Vol. 25, No. 4, 355-372, Apr. 2010.
9. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, A. Liseno, and G. Toso, "Phase-only synthesis of flat aperiodic reflectarrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 53-89, 2013.
10. Capozzoli, A., C. Curcio, and A. Liseno, "NUFFT-accelerated plane-polar (also phaseless) near-field/far-field transformation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 59-73, 2012.
11. Bronstein, M. M., A. M. Bronstein, M. Zibulevsky, and H. Azhari, "Reconstruction in diffraction ultrasound tomography using nonuniform FFT," IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1395-1401, Nov. 2002.
12. Zhang-O'Connor, Y. and J. A. Fessler, "Fourier-based forward and back-projectors in iterative fan-beam tomographic image reconstruction," IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging, Vol. 25, No. 5, 582-589, May 2006.
13. Matej, S., J. A. Fessler, and I. G. Kazantsev, "Iterative tomographic image reconstruction using Fourier-based forward and back-projectors," IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, 401-412, Apr. 2004.
14. Eggers, H., T. Knopp, and D. Potts, "Field inhomogeneity correction based on gridding reconstruction for magnetic resonance imaging," IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging, Vol. 26, No. 3, 374-384, Mar. 2007.
15. Dutt, A. and V. Rokhlin, "Fast Fourier transforms for nonequispaced data," SIAM J. Sci. Comp., Vol. 14, No. 6, 1368-1393, 1993.
16. Potts, D., G. Steidl, and M. Tasche, "Fast Fourier transforms for nonequispaced data: A tutorial," Modern Sampling Theory: Mathematics and Application, 253-274, J. J. B. P. Ferreira, Ed., Birkhauser, Boston, MA, 2000.
17. Fessler, J. A. and B. P. Sutton, "Nonuniform fast Fourier transforms using min-max interpolation," IEEE Trans. Signal Proc., Vol. 51, No. 2, 560-574, Feb. 2003.
18. Fourmont, K., "Non-equispaced fast Fourier transforms with applications to tomography," J. Fourier Anal. Appl., Vol. 9, No. 5, 431-450, 2003.
19. Greengard, K. and J.-Y. Lee, "Accelerating the nonuniform fast Fourier transform," SIAM Rev., Vol. 46, No. 3, 443-454, 2004.
20. Dutt, A., "Fast Fourier transforms for nonequispaced data," , Ph.D. Dissertation, Yale University, YALEU/CSD/RR #981, 1993.
21. Kantorovich, L. V. and G. P. Akilov, Functional Analysis, Pergamon Press, New York, 1982.
22. Pozrikidis, C., Numerical Computation in Science and Engineering, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2008.
23. Morita, N., "The boundary-element method," Analysis Methods for Electromagnetic Wave Problems, E. Yamashita (ed.), Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1990.
24. Chew, W. C., J.-M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
25. Song, J. and W. C. Chew, "Error analysis for the truncation of multipole expansion of vector's Green's functions," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 7, 311-313, Jul. 2001.