A novel multi-state RF MEMS switch for microstrip antenna applications is presented. The proposed switch exhibits seven different states of operation, has a very simple DC biasing mechanism and can be integrated with antenna structure. Based on these properties, this switch may find its usage in multifunction reconfigurable antennas. To exhibit this application, it is employed in the reconfiguration mechanism of a U-slotted antenna. In different states of the switch, the antenna resonates at different frequencies. All the standard frequency bands of the wireless communication services with some additional frequency bands is covered with this reconfigurable U-slotted antenna. Moreover, the proposed antenna structure is a cost-effective solution since it comprises a commonly used FR4 substrate. The switch is integrated with antenna structure on the same substrate. A prototype of the designed antenna was fabricated and tested for performance verification of the proposed switch and antenna.
2. Cetiner, B. A., G. R. Crusats, L. Jofre, and N. Biyikli, "RF MEMS integrated frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 626-632, 2010.
3. Hall, P. S., P. Gardner, J. Kelly, E. Ebrahimi, M. R. Hamid, F. Ghanem, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Reconfigurable antenna challenges for future radio systems," Proc. 3rd Eur. Conf. Antennas Propag., 949-955, Berlin, Germany, 2009.
4. Oh, S. H., J. T. Aberle, S. Anantharaman, K. Arai, H. L. Chong, and S. C. Koay, "Electronically tunable antenna pair and novel RF front-end architecture for software-defined radios," EURASIP J. Appl. Signal Process., Vol. 2005, 2701-2707, 2005.
5. Romano, N., G. Prisco, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a reconfigurable antenna for ground penetrating radar applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 1-18, 2009.
6. Martinez-Lopez, R., J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez-Lopez, "An active ring slot with RF MEMS switchable radial stubs for reconfigurable frequency selective surface applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 419-440, 2012.
7. Petit, L., L. Dussopt, and J.-M. Laheurte, "MEMS-switched parasitic-antenna array for radiation pattern diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2624-2631, 2006.
8. Anagnostou, D. E., G. Zheng, M. T. Chryssomallis, J. C. Lyke, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 422-432, 2006.
9. Boyle, K. R. and P. G. Steeneken, "A five-band reconfigurable PIFA for mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3300-3309, 2007.
10. Mak, C. K., C. R. Rowell, R. D. Murch, and C.-L. Mak, "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, 2007.
11. Rajagopalan, H., R.-S. Yahya, and W. A. Imbriale, "RF MEMS actuated reconfigurable reflectarray patch-slot element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3689-3699, 2008.
12. Kingsley, N., G. E. Ponchak, and J. Papapolymerou, "Reconfigurable RF MEMS phased array antenna integrated within a liquid crystal polymer (LCP) system-on-package," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 108-118, 2008.
13. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006.
14. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "A microstrip antenna with a reconfigurable pattern for RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 101-116, 2012.
15. Vu, T. M., G. Prigent, J. Ruan, and R. Plana, "Design and fabrication of RF-MEMS switch for V-band reconfigurable application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 301-318, 2012.
16. Al-Husseini, M., L. Safatly, A. Ramadan, A. El-Hajj, K. Y. Kabalan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable filter antenna for pulse adaptation in UWB cognitive radio systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 327-342, 2012.
17. Naglich, E. J., J. Lee, D. Peroulis, and W. J. Chappell, "Switchless tunable bandstop-to-all-pass reconfigurable filter," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 1258-1265, 2012.
18. Miller, A. and J. Hong, "Cascaded coupled line filter with reconfigurable bandwidths using LCP multilayer circuit technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1577-1586, 2012.
19. Chan, K. Y., S. Fouladi, R. Ramer, and R. R. Mansour, "RF MEMS switchable interdigital bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, No. 1, 44-46, 2012.
20. Saed, M. A., "Reconfigurable broadband microstrip antenna FED by a coplanar waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 227-239, 2005.
21. Domingue, F., S. Fouladi, A. B. Kouki, and R. R. Mansour, "Design methodology and optimization of distributed MEMS matching networks for low-microwave-frequency applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3030-3041, 2009.
22. Rabieirad, L. and S. Mohammadi, "Reconfigurable CMOS tuners for software-defined radio," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2768-2774, 2009.
23. Melde, K. L., H.-J. Park, H.-H. Yeh, B. Fankem, Z. Zhou, and W. R. Eisenstadt, "Software defined match control circuit integrated with a planar inverted F antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3884-3890, 2010.
24 . Monti, G., R. De Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state reconfigurable CRLH transmission line based on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009.
25. Topalli, K., O. A. Civi, S. Demir, S. Koc, and T. Akin, "A monolithic phased array using 3-bit distributed RF MEMS phase shifters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 270-277, 2008.
26. Qiao, D., R. Molfino, S. M. Lardizabal, B. Pillans, P. M. Asbeck, and G. Jerinic, "An intelligently controlled RF power amplifier with a reconfigurable MEMS-varactor tuner," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1089-1095, 2005.
27. Fu, C. T., C.-L. Ko, C.-N. Kuo, and Y.-Z. Juang, "A 2.4-5.4-GHz wide tuning-range CMOS reconfigurable low-noise amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 12, 2754-2763, 2008.
28. El-Nozahi, M., E. Sanchez-Sinencio, and K. Entesari, "A CMOS low-noise amplifier with reconfigurable input matching network," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1054-1062, 2009.
29. Kim, K. Y., W. Y. Kim, H. S. Son, I. Y. Oh, and C. S. Park, "A reconfigurable quad-band CMOS class E power amplifier for mobile and wireless applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 7, 380-382, 2011.
30. Jamlos, M. F., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, M. T. Ali, M. N. Md Tan, and P. Saad, "Reconfigurable aperture coupled planar antenna array at 2.3 GHz," PIERS Proceedings, 573-578, Xi'an, China, Mar. 22-26, 2010.
31. Razali, A. R., "Reconfigurable coplanar inverted-F antenna with electronically controlled ground slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 63-76, 2011.
32. Persico, R., N. Romano, and F. Soldovieri, "Design of a balun for a bow tie antenna in reconfigurable ground penetrating radar systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 123-135, 2011.
33. Korosec, T., P. Ritos, and M. Vidmar, "Varactor-tuned microstrip-patch antenna with frequency and polarization agility," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 8, 1015-1017, 2006.
34. Aboufoul, T., A. Alomainy, and C. Parini, "Reconfiguring UWB monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications using GaAs FET switches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 11, 1392-1394, 2012.
35. Kang, W., K. H. Ko, and K. Kim, "A compact beam reconfigurable antenna for symmetric beam switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 1-16, 2012.
36. Rebeiz, G. M. and J. B. Muldavin, "RF MEMS switches and switch circuits," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 4, 59-71, 2001.
37. Bayraktar, O., O. A. Civi, and T. Akin, "Beam switching reflectarray monolithically integrated with RF MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 854-862, 2012.
38. Tong, K. F., K.-M. Luk, K.-F. Lee, and R. Q. Lee, "A broad-band U-slot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 6, 854-862, 2000.
39. Ramadan, A., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-Koch microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 355-367, 2009.
40. Kim, I. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "RF MEMS switchable slot patch antenna integrated with bias network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4811-4815, 2011.
41. Qin, P. Y., Y. J. Guo, A. R. Weily, and C.-H. Liang, "A pattern reconfigurable U-slot antenna and its applications in MIMO systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 516-528, 2012.
42. Chang, H. P., J. Qian, B. A. Cetiner, F. De Flaviis, M. Bachman, and G. P. Li, "Design and process considerations for fabricating RF MEMS switches on printed circuit boards," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 14, No. 6, 1311-1322, 2005.
43. Cetiner, B. A., L. Jofre, C. H. Chang, J. Y. Qian, M. Bachman, G. P. Li, and F. De Flaviis, "Integrated MEM antenna system for wireless communications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 14, No. 6, 1333-1337, 2002.
44. Cetiner, B. A., J. Y. Qian, H. P. Chang, M. Bachman, G. P. Li, and F. De Flaviis, "Monolithic integration of RF MEMS switches with a diversity antenna on PCB substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 332-335, 2003.