As the distribution of the multiuser interference plus noise in time-hopping ultrawide bandwidth (TH-UWB) systems can not be reliably approximated by Gaussian probability density function (PDF), the bit error rate (BER) performance of the conventional matched filter receiver in TH-UWB multiuser systems degrades. In this paper we study a novel TH-UWB receiver based on two PDFs approximating the distribution of the multiuser interference plus noise. Firstly we investigate the difference between the distribution of the multiuser interference plus noise when the received pulse is collided by interfering pulses and that when it is not. Then two PDFs are developed to approximate the distribution of multiuser interference plus noise in these two cases respectively instead of using one PDF for both cases as done in other research works. Based on these two PDFs, a new detection scheme of TH-UWB receiver is proposed. The results show that BER performance of the proposed receiver is improved by 50% or more as compared to the conventional matched filter receiver, blinking receiver, Gaussian mixture receiver and p-order receiver using simulations.
2. Beaulieu, N. C. and D. J. Young, "Designing time-hopping ultraw-ide bandwidth receivers for multiuser interference environments," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 255-284, 2009.
3. Gao, A.-M., Q. H. Xu, H.-L. Peng, W. Jiang, and Y. Jiang, "Performance evaluation of UWB on-body communication under WiMAX off-body EMI existence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 479-498, 2012.
4. Zhang, Z. and Y. H. Lee, "A robust CAD tool for integrated design of UWB antenna system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 441-457, 2011.
5. Liu, J. Q., K. J. Song, and Y. Fan, "UWB BPF with triple notched bands using novel dual-mode SIR and asymmetrical coupling structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 16, 2112-2120, 2012.
6. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "A time-domain approach to the synthesis of UWB antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 557-575, 2012.
7. Tang, H.-Y., P. Zhuo, X.-L. Gao, F.-F. Zhao, and L.-W. Li, "Compact planar UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics for WIMAX/WLAN/ITU bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14, 1873-1880, 2012.
8. Lie, J. P., B. P. Ng, and C. M. S. See, "Multiple UWB emitters DOA estimation employing time hopping spread spectrum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 83-101, 2008.
9. Liu, X.-F., B.-Z. Wang, S.-Q. Xiao, and J. H. Deng, "Performance of impulse radio UWB communications based on time reversal technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 401-413, 2008.
10. Beaulieu, N. C. and B. Hu, "Soft-limiting receiver structures for time-hopping UWB in multiple-access interference," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 2, 810-818, 2008.
11. Hu, B. and N. C. Beaulieu, "Accurate evaluation of multiple-access performance in TH-PPM and TH-BPSK UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 52, No. 10, 1758-1766, 2004.
12. Ghasemi, A. and S. Nader-Esfahani, "Nonlinear pulse combining in impulse radio UWB systems," IET Commun., Vol. 1, No. 6, 1289-1295, 2007.
13. Beaulieu, N. C., H. Shao, and J. Fiorina, "P-order metric UWB receiver structures with superior performance," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 56, No. 10, 1666-1676, 2008.
14. Fishler, E. and H. V. Poor, "Low-complexity multiuser detectors for time-hopping impulse-radio systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2561-2571, 2004.
15. Hosseini, I. and N. C. Beaulieu, "Optimal error rate performance of binary TH-UWB receivers in multiuser interference," Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM' 2008, New Orleans, US, 2008.
16. Chen, Z. and Y.-P. Zhang, "Effects of antennas and propagation channels on synchronization performance of a pulse-based ultra-wideband radio system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 95-112, 2011.
17. Mabrouk, I. B., L. Talbi, M. Nedil, and K. Hettak, "The effect of the human body on MIMO-UWB signal propagation in an underground mine gallery," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 4, 560-569, 2012.
18. Videv, S., H. Haas, J. S. Thompson, and P. M. Grant, "Energy efficient resource allocation in wireless systems with control channel overhead," Proc. IEEE WCNCW' 2012, Edinburgh, UK, 2012.
19. Doerr, C., D. Grunwald, and D. C. Sicker, "Dynamic control channel management in presence of spectrum heterogeneity," Proc. IEEE MILCOM' 2008, Boulder, US, 2008.
20. Guvenc, I., Z. Sahinoglu, and P. V. Orlik, "TOA estimation for IR-UWB systems with different transceiver types," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1876-1886, 2006.
21. Ahmed, Q. Z. and L.-L. Yang, "Reduced-rank adaptive multiuser detection in hybrid direct-sequence time-hopping ultrawide bandwidth systems," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 9, No. 1, 156-167, 2010.
22. Guvenc, I. and H. Arslan, "A review on multiple access interference cancellation and avoidance for IR-UWB," Signal Process., Vol. 87, No. 4, 623-653, 2007.
23. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, Inc., Massachusetts, 1994.
24. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Detection Theory, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1998.
25. Guvenc, I., H. Arslan, S. Gezici, and H. Kobayashi, "Adaptation of two types of processing gains for UWB impulse radio wireless sensor networks," IET Commun., Vol. 1, No. 6, 1280-1288, 2007.
26. Proakis, J. G., Digital Communications, McGraw Hill, New York, 2001.