Current advanced spaceborne synthetic aperture radar (SAR) systems may operate at multiple imaging modes, including conventional modes as stripmap, ScanSAR and spotlight, as well as the state-of-the-art SAR modes, e.g., sliding spotlight, TOPS (Terrain Observation by Progressive Scans) and inverse TOPS, etc. A novel image formation scheme for unified processing spaceborne SAR data was proposed, which significantly simplified complexity of SAR processor sub-system. The unified-model-coefficient (UMC) was defined for modeling all SAR modes by means of analyzing both imaging geometry and time-frequency diagram corresponding to each imaging mode, respectively. The unified mathematical formula for modeling all SAR modes echo signal was derived as a function of UMC. Consequently, a unified image formation scheme for accurately focusing spaceborne SAR data in an arbitrary mode was proposed, which integrates all of SAR image formation procedures into a standard three-step processing framework, namely, de-rotation, data focusing and re-sampling, which evidently improve efficiency and robustness of data processing sub-system. Computer simulation experiment results verify the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
2. Xu, W., P. P. Huang, and Y.-K. Deng, "Multi-channel SPCMB-TOPS SAR for high-resolution wide-swath imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 533-551, 2011.
3. Tian, B., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "A novel moving target detection approach for dual-channel SAR system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 191-206, 2011.
4. Storvold, R., E. Malnes, and Y. Larsen, "SAR remote sensing of snow parameters in Norwegian areas-current status and future ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1751-1759, 2006.
5. Chang, Y.-L., C.-Y. Chiang, and K.-S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
6. Zan, F. D. and A. M. Guarnieri, "TOPSAR: Terrain observation by progressive scans," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 9, 2352-2360, 2006.
7. Xu, W., P. P. Huang, and Y.-K. Deng, "MIMO-Tops mode for high-resolution ultra-wide-swath full polarimetric imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 19-37, 2011.
8. Ren, X. Z., Y. Qin, and L. H. Qiao, "Interferometric properties and processing for spaceborne spotlight SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 267-281, 2012.
9. Chan, Y. K., V. C. Koo, B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Modified algorithm for real time SAR signal processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 156-168, 2008.
10. Bamler, R. and M. Eineder, "ScanSAR processing using standard high precision SAR algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens. , Vol. 114, 17-32, 2011.
11. Wang, X. and D. Y. Zhu, "Range Doppler algorithm for bistatic SAR processing based on the improved lofield's bistatic formula," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letter, Vol. 21, 161-169, 2011.
12. Raney, R. K., H. Runge, and R. Bamler, "Precision SAR processing using chirp scaling," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 32, No. 4, 786-799, 1994.
13. Moreira, A., J. Mittermayer, and R. Scheiber, "Extended chirp scaling algorithm for air- and spaceborne SAR data processing in stripmap and scanSAR imaging modes," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 34, No. 5, 1123-1136, 1996.
14. Zhu, D., M. Shen, and Z. Zhu, "Some aspects of improving the frequency scaling algorithm for dechirped SAR data processing," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 6, 1579-1588, 2008.
15. Liu, Q., W. Hong, W. Tan, Y. Lin, Y. P. Wang, and Y. Wu, "An improved polar format algorithm with performance analysis for geosynchronous circular SAR 2D imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 119, 155-170, 2011.
16. Guo, D., H. Xu, and J. Li, "Extended wavenumber domain algorithm for highly squinted sliding spotlight SAR data processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 17-32, 2011.
17. Park, S.-H., J.-I. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Motion compensation for squint mode spotlight SAR imaging using efficient 2D interpolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
18. Mao, X., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "Signatures of moving target in polar format spotlight SAR image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 47-64, 2009.
19. Chen, J., J. H. Gao, Y. Q. Zhu, W. Yang, and P. B. Wang, "A novel image formation algorithm for high-resolution wide-swath spaceborne SAR using compressed sensing on azimuth displacement phase center antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 527-542, 2012.
20. An, D. X., Z.-M. Zhou, X.-T Huang, and T. Jin, "A novel imaging approach for high resolution squinted spotlight SAR based on the deramping-based technique and azimuth NLCS principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 485-508, 2012.
21. Lanari, R., S. Zoffoli, E. Sansosti, G. Fornaro, and F. Serafino, "New approach for hybrid strip-map/spotlight SAR data focusing," IEE Proc. - Radar, Sonar, Navig., Vol. 148, No. 6, 363-372, 2001.
22. Prats, P., R. Scheiber, J. Mittermayer, A. Meta, and A. Moreira, "Processing of sliding spotlight and TOPS SAR data using baseband azimuth scaling," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 2, 770-780, 2010.
23. Yang, W., C. S. Li, J. Chen, and P. B. Wang, "Extend three-step focusing algorithm for sliding spotlight and TOPS data image formation," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 479-482, 2011.
24. Belcher, D. P. and C. J. Baker, "High resolution processing of hybrid strip-map/spotlight mode SAR," IEE Proc. - Sonar Navig., Vol. 143, No. 6, 366-374, 1996.
25. Cheng, H., T. Long, and Y. Tian, "An improved nonlinear chirp scaling algorithm based on curved trajectory in geosynchronous SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 481-513, 2013.
26. Mittermayer, J., S. Wollstadt, P. Prats, R. Scheiber, and W. Koppe, "Staring spotlight imaging with TerraSAR-X," EEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 1606-1608, 2012.