In this paper, we examine the imaging ability of a planar superlens in both the transverse and vertical dimension. By studying the field patterns of the image from different objects (points and scattering surfaces with subwavelength details) in front of a planar superlens, we show the relation between the transverse and vertical resolutions. We mainly discuss why we cannot get high subwavelength resolution for three dimensions at the same time, and there is a trade-off between the transverse and vertical resolution capabilities which is fundamental in nature for a planar superlens.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Zhang, Y., T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in a slab with negative permittivity and negative permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 271-286, 2002.
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
6. Kuester, E. F., N. Memic, S. Shen, A. D. Scher, S. Kim, K. Kumley, and H. Loui, "A negative refractive index metamaterial based on a cubic array of layered nonmagnetic spherical particles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 175-202, 2011.
7. Garcia, C. R., J. Correa, D. Espalin, J. H. Barton, R. C. Rumpf, R. Wicker, and V. Gonzalez, "3D printing of anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 34, 75-82, 2012.
8. Shalaev, V. M., "Optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 41-48, 2007.
9. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
10. Pendry, J. B. and S. A. Ramakrishna, "Refining the perfect lens," Physica B: Condensed Matter, Vol. 338, 329-332, 2003.
11. Ramakrishna, S. A., J. B. Pendry, M. C. K. Wiltshire, and W. J. Stewart, "Imaging the near field," J. Mod. Optics, Vol. 50, 1419-1430, 2003.
12. Belov, P. A., Y. Hao, and S. Sudhakaran, "Subwavelength imaging at optical frequencies using a transmission device formed by a periodic layered metal-dielectric structure operating in the canalization regime," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 113110, 2006.
13. Wood, B., J. B. Pendry, and D. P. Tsai, "Directed subwavelength imaging using a layered metal-dielectric system," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 115116, Sep. 2006.
14. Webb, K. J. and M. Yang, "Subwavelength imaging with a multilayer silver film structure," Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, 2130-2132, 2006.
15. Feng, S. M. and J. M. Elson, "Diffraction-suppressed high-resolution imaging through metallodielectric nanofilms," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 216-221, 2006.
16. Shin, H. C. and S. H. Fan, "All-angle negative refraction and evanescent wave amplification using one-dimensional metallodi-electric photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 151102, 2006.
17. Shi, L. H. and L. Gao, "Subwavelength imaging from a multilayered structure containing interleaved nonspherical metal-dielectric composites," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 195121, 2008.
18. Moore, C. P., M. D. Arnold, P. J. Bones, and R. J. Blaikie, "Image fidelity for single-layer and multi-layer silver superlenses," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 911-918, 2008.
19. Cao, P., X. Zhang, L. Cheng, and Q. Meng, "Far field imaging research based on multilayer positive- and negative-refractive-index media under off-axis illumination," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 283-298, 2009.
20. Kotyńki, R. and T. Stefaniuk, "Multiscale analysis of subwave-length imaging with metal-dielectric multilayers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 1133-1135, 2010.
21. Jin, Y., "Improving subwavelength resolution of multilayered structures containing negative-permittivity layers by flatting the transmission curves ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 347-364, 2010.
22. Yan, C., D. Zhang, Y. Zhang, D. Li, and M. A. Fiddy, "Metal-dielectric composites for beam splitting and far-field deep sub-wavelength resolution for visible wavelengths," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 14794-14801, 2010.
23. Cao, P., X. Zhang, W.-J. Kong, L. Cheng, and H. Zhang, "Superresolution enhancement for the superlens with anti-re°ection and phase control coatings via surface plasmons modes of asymmetric structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 191-206, 2011.
24. Fang, N., H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens," Science, Vol. 308, 534-537, 2005.
25. Korobkin, D., Y. Urzhumov, and G. Shvets, "Enhanced near-field resolution in midinfrared using metamaterials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 468-478, 2005.
26. Taubner, T., D. Korobkin, Y. Urzhumov, G. Shvets, and R. Hillenbrand, "Near-field microscopy through a SiC superlens," Science, Vol. 313, 1595, 2006.
27. Liu, Z., H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects," Science, Vol. 315, 1686, 2007.
28. Zhang, X. and Z. Liu, "Superlenses to overcome the diffraction limit," Nature Materials, Vol. 7, 435, 2008.
29. Chaturvedi, P., W. Wu, V. J. Logeeswaran, Z. Yu, M. S. Islam, S. Y. Wang, R. S. Williams, and N. X. Fang, "A smooth optical superlens," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 043102, 2010.
30. Xie, Y., J. Jiang, and S. He, "Proposal of cylindrical rolled-up metamaterial lenses for magnetic resonance imaging application and preliminary experimental demonstration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 151-162, 2012.
31. Smith, D. R., D. Schurig, M. Rosenbluth, S. Schultz, S. A. Ramakrishna, and J. B. Pendry, "Limitations on subdiffraction imaging with a negative refractive index slab," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 82, 1506, 2003.
32. Stockman, M. I., "Criterion for negative refraction with low optical losses from a fundamental principle of causality," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 98, 177404, 2007.
33. Mesa, F., M. J. Freire, R. Marqués, and J. D. Baena, "Three-dimensional superresolution in metamaterial slab lenses: Experiment and theory," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 72, 235117, 2005.