This paper proposes a planar printed wideband antenna for eight-band LTE/GSM/UMTS WWAN wireless USB dongle applications. An inductive shorted strip with a chip capacitor loaded is employed in order to improve the characteristics of small-size terminal antennas which usually have a narrow band over the LTE700/GSM850/900 (698-960 MHz) operation. While the desired upper band is mainly realized by the rectangular radiating patch, covering DCS1800/PCS1900/UMTS2100/LTE2300/2500 (1710-2690 MHz) band. Easily printed on a 0.8-mm thick FR4 dielectric substrate of size 20×70 mm², the proposed antenna structure occupies a compact size of 20×19 mm². Then the proposed design can be attached to laptop computer by the USB interface. Good radiation efficiency and antenna gain for frequencies over the desired operating bands is obtained. Detailed design considerations of the proposed antenna are described, and both experimental and simulation results are also presented and discussed.
2. Luo, Q., J. R. Pereira, and H. M. Salgado, "Compact printed monopole antenna with chip inductor for WLAN," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 880-883, 2011.
3. Kusuma, A. H., A.-F. Sheta, I. Elshafiey, Z. Siddiqui,M. A. Alkanhal, S. Aldosari, and S. A. Alshebeili, "A new low SAR antenna structure for wireless handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 23-40, 2011.
4. Chen, J. H., Y. L. Ban, H. M. Yuan, and Y. J. Wu, "Printed coupled-fed PIFA for seven-band GSM/UMTS/LTE WWAN mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 390-401, 2012.
5. Wong, K. L. and C. T. Lee, "Small-size wideband monopole antenna closely coupled with a chip-inductor-loaded shorted strip for 11-band WWAN/WLAN/WiMAX operation in the slim mobile phone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 2, 361-366, Feb.2011.
6. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Slot loaded circular microstrip antenna with meandered slits," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1851-1862, 2011.
7. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Y. Zou, and T. J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
8. Cao, W. Q., B. N. Zhang, T. B. Yu, A. J. Liu, S. J. Zhao,D. S. Guo, and Z. D. Song, "Single-feed dual-band dual-mode and dual-polarized microstrip antenna based on metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1909-1919, 2011.
9. Viani, F., L. Lizzi, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "A miniaturized UWB antenna for wireless dongle devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 714-717, 2008.
10. Liu, W. C. and Y. L. Chen, "Compact strip-monopole antenna for WLAN-band USB dongle application," Electronics Lett., Vol. 47, 479-480, 2011.
11. Su, S. W., J. H. Chou, and K. L. Wong, "Internal ultrawideband monopole antenna for wireless USB dongle application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 1180-1183, Apr.2007.
12. Gong, J. G., Y. C. Jiao, Q. Li, Y. Song, and J. Wang, "Compact internal wideband antenna for wireless USB dongle application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 879-882, 2010.
13. Tu, S., Y. C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, Y. Song, and S. M. Ning, "Small internal 2.4-GHz/UWB antenna for wireless dongle applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 284-287, 2010.
14. Ban, Y. L., H.M. Yuan, J. H. Chen, L. W. Li, and Y. J. Wu, "A novel ultra-wideband antenna with distributed inductance for wireless USB dongle attached to laptop computer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 179-191, 2012.
15. Hong, C. S., "Small annular slot antenna with capacitor loading," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 2, 110-111, Jan.2000.
16. Gokhan, M., S. Gupta, K. Sertel, and J. L. Volakis, "Small wideband double-loop antennas using lumped inductors and coupling capacitors," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 107-110, 2011.
17. Wong, K. L. and Y. W. Chang, "Internal eight-bandWWAN/LTE handset antenna using loop shorting strip and chip-capacitor loaded feeding strip for bandwidth enhancement," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1217-1222, Jun.2011.
18. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, and L.-K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010.
19. Chen, W. S. and B. Y. Lee, "A meander PDA antenna for GSM/DCS/PCS/UMTS/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 14, 101-109, 2010.
20. Kasabegoudar, V. G., "Low prfile suspended microstrip antennas for wideband applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1795-1806, 2011.
21. Chiu, C.-W. and C.-H. Chang, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
22. Elsharkawy, Z. F., A. A. Saharshar, S. M. Elhalafawy, and S. M. Elaraby, "Ultra-wideband A-shaped printed antenna with parasitic elements," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1909-1919, 2010.
23. Lin, D. B., I. T. Tang, and M. Z. Hong, "A compact quad-band PIFA by tuning the defected ground structure for mobile phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 24, 173-189, 2010.
24. Nishamol, M. S., V. P. Sarin, D. Tony, C. K. Anandan,P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A broadband microstrip antenna for IEEE 802.11a/WiMAX/HIPERLAN2 applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 155-161, 2010.