This paper deals with the design and numerical analysis of a reconfigurable antenna implemented according to the total geometry morphing approach. The reconfigurable antenna is designed so to resemble a reference bowtie antenna, suitable for a stepped frequency Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) applications, with geometry variable in order to work in different operative conditions. In particular, the good agreement between the reference antenna and the reconfigurable one is tested within the work frequency band 0.3-1 GHz for both the free-space and half-space geometry. Finally, a trial of the reconfigurability of the proposed solution is shown for operative conditions with antenna in contact with different dielectric media.
2. Jung, C. W. and K. Kim, "Reconfigurable antenna for concurrent operation over cellular and connectivity bands," Electronic Letters, Vol. 44, No. 5, 334-335, Feb. 2008.
3. Brown, E. R., "RF-MEMS switches for reconfigurable integrated circuits ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1868-1880, 1998.
4. Ali, M. T., M. R. B. Kamarudin, T. A. Rahman, R. Sauleau, and M. N. Md Tan, "Design of reconfigurable multiple elements microstrip rectangular linear array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 21-35, 2009.
5. Hazen, J., R. Clark, P. Mayes, and J. T. Bernhard, "Stacked recon¯gurable antennas for space-based radar applications,", Electromagnetics Laboratory, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Il 61801.
6. Wu, W., B. Z. Wang, and S. Sun, "Pattern reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, 107-113, 2005.
7. Jofre, L., B. Cetiner, and F. De Flaviis, "Miniature multi-element antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 5, 658-669, 2002.
8. Cetiner, B., L. Jofre, G. Li, and F. De Flaviis, A packaged reconfigurable multielement antenna for wireless networking, 2001 Asian-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2001, Vol. 2, 705-708, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2001.
9. Alkanhal, M. A. S. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band recon¯gurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007.
10. Wei, W.-B., Q.-Z. Liu, Y.-Z. Yin, and H.-J. Zhou, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 63-68, 2007.
11. Wu, W. and Y.-H. Bi, "Switched-beam planar fractal antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 409-415, 2006.
12. Pringle, L. N., P. H. Harms, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel, E. J. Kuster, P. G. Friederich, R. J. Prado, J. M. Morris, and G. S. Smith, "A reconfigurable aperture antenna based on switched links between electrically small metallic patches," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1434-1445, 2004.
13 . Daniels, D. J., Ground Penetrating Radar, 2nd Ed., Institution of Electrical Engineers, 2004.
14. Cummings, N. P., Active antenna bandwidth control using reconfigurable antenna elements, Ph.D. Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 2003.
16. Volakis, J. L., L. C. Kempel, and A. Cbatterjee, Finite Element Method for Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, 1998.
17. Soldovieri, F., A. Brancaccio, G. Prisco, G. Leone, and , "Characterization of ultra-wideband bow-tie antennas for ground penetrating radar systems," Microwave Journal, Vol. 49, No. 8, 186-194, 2006.
18. Anagnostou, D. E., G. Zheng, M. T. Chryssomallis, J. C. Lyke, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 54, 422-432, 2006.
19. Lestari, A. A., A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "RC-loaded bow-tieantenna for improved pulse radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 52, 2555-2563, Oct. 2004.
20. Van, Coevorden, C. M. de J. A. Rubio Bretones, M. Fernandez Pantoja, F. Garca Ruiz, S. G. Garcia, and R. Gomez Martin, "GA design of a thin-wire bow-tie antenna for GPR applications," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 4, 1004-1010, April 2006.
21. Huff, G. H. and J. T. Bernhard, "Integration of packaged RF MEMS switches with radiation pattern reconfigurable square spiral microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 464-469, 2006.