A compact Vivaldi antenna array printed on thick substrate and fed by a Substrate Integrated Waveguides (SIW) structure has been developed. The antenna array utilizes a compact SIW binary divider to significantly minimize the feed structure insertion losses. The low-loss SIW binary divider has a common novel Grounded Coplanar Waveguide (GCPW) feed to provide a wideband transition to the SIW and to sustain a good input match while preventing higher order modes excitation. The antenna array was designed, fabricated, and thoroughly investigated. Detailed simulations of the antenna and its feed, in addition to its relevant measurements, will be presented in this paper.
2. Han, S., X. L.Wang, Y. Fan, Z. Yang, and Z. He, "The generalized chebyshev substrate integrated waveguide diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 73, 29-38, 2007.
3. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 133-145, 2008.
4. Wu, L. S., R. Wang, and X. L. Zhou, "Compact folded substrate integrated waveguide cavities and bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 84, 135-147, 2008.
5. Zhang, X. C., Z. Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 72, 39-46, 2007.
6. Che, W., E. K. N. Yung, K.Wu, and X. Nie, "Design investigation on millimeter-wave ferrite phase shifter in substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 45, 263-275, 2004.
7. Yang, S. and A. E. Fathy, "Development of a slotted substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) array antennas for mobile DBS application," Antenna Applications Symposium, 101-131, IL, 2006.
8. Ansoft HFSS, version 10, ANSYS, Inc., .
9. Sang-Gyu, K. and C. Kai, "A low cross-polarized antipodal Vivaldi antenna array for wideband operation," 2004 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 2269-2272, 2004.
10. Yang, Y. and A. Fathy, "Design and implementation of a low-cost real-time ultra-wide band see-through-wall imaging radar system," 2007 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1467-1470, 2007.
11. Mahfouz, M. R., Z. Cemin, B. C. Merkl, M. J. Kuhn, and A. E. Fathy, "Investigation of high-accuracy indoor 3-D positioning using UWB technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 1316-1330, 2008.
12. Salvador, S. and G. Vecchi, "On some experiments with UWB microwave imaging for breast cancer detection," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 253-256, 2007.
13. Yang, Y., C. Zhang, S. Lin, and A. E. Fathy, "Development of an ultra wideband Vivaldi antenna array," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1A, 606-609, 2005.
14. Cheng, H. Z., H. Wei, L. Hao, Z. Hua, and W. Ke, "Multiway broadband substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power divider," 2005 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1A, 639-642, 2005.
15. Cheng, H. Z., H. Wei, C. J. Xin, C. X. Ping, and W. Ke, "A novel feeding technique for antipodal linearly tapered slot antenna array," 2005 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 3, 2005.
16. Yang, S. and A. E. Fathy, "Synthesis of an arbitrary power split ratio divider using substrate integrated waveguides," 2007 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 427-430, 2007.
17. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Analysis and design of current probe transition from grounded coplanar to substrate integrated rectangular waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 53, 2487-2494, 2005.
18. Patrovsky, A., M. Daigle, and K. Wu, "Millimeter-wave wideband transition from CPW to substrate integrated waveguide on electrically thick high-permittivity substrates," IEEE Microw. Conf., 138-141, Oct. 2007.
19. Yang, S., E. Adel, S. Lin, A. E. Fathy, A. Kamel, and H. Elhennawy, "A highly efficient Vivaldi antenna array design on thick substrate and fed by SIW structure with integrated GCPW feed," 2007 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1985-1988, 2007.
20. Lin, S., S. Yang, and A. E. Fathy, "UWB tapered slot antenna array using siw technology," Antenna Applications Symposium, IL, Sep. 2007.
21. Yang, S., S. H. Suleiman, and A. E. Fathy, "Development of a slotted substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) array antennas for mobile DBS," Proc. Antennas Applications. Symp., Montecello, IL, Sep. 2006.
22. Takahashi, T., J. Hirokawa, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "A single-layer power divider for a slotted waveguide array using π-junction withan inductive wall," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E79-B, No. 1, 57-62, Jan. 1996.
23. Fukazawa, K., J. Hirokawa, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "Two-way power divider for partially parallel feed in single layer slotted waveguide arrays," IEICE Trans. Commun., Vol. E81-B, No. 6, 1248-1253, Jun. 1998.
24. Schaubert, D., E. Kollberg, T. Korzeniowski, T. Thungren, J. Johansson, and K. Yngvesson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, 1392-1400, 1985.