A Green's function based methodology has been developed and implemented with the view to optimize the focusing properties and thus the performance of a Microwave Radiometry Imaging System (MiRaIS). The system consists of an ellipsoidal conductive wall cavity and a sensitive radiometric receiver and its operation principal is based on the convergence of the radiation from one focal point, where the subject or phantom is placed, on the other, where the receiver antenna is positioned. A two-layered cylinder is used to model the human head with the semi-analytical Green's function technique. The imaging configuration is enhanced by different matching structures of various materials which are placed on the surface of both the human head model and the antenna inside the ellipsoidal. Numerical code executions have been realized and the results for the electric field distribution inside the head are presented for materials of various dielectric properties and for left handed materials at two different frequencies (0.5 GHz and 1.0 GHz). Increased sensitivity of the system focusing properties is observed using particular matching structures.
2. Karanasiou, I. S., N. K. Uzunoglu, and C. Papageorgiou, "Towards functional non-invasive imaging of excitable tissues inside the human body using focused microwave radiometry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1898-1908, Aug. 2004.
3. Karanasiou, I. S., N. K. Uzunoglu, and A. Garetsos, "Electromagnetic analysis of a non-invasive 3D passive microwave imaging system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 44, 287-308, 2004.
4. Karanasiou, I. S., N. K. Uzunoglu, S. Stergiopoulos, and W. Wong, "A passive 3D imaging thermograph using microwave radiometry," Innovation and Technology in Biology Medicine, Vol. 25, 227-239, 2004.
5. Karanasiou, I. S. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Development and feasibility study of a functional brain passive microwave tomography system," URSI 2004 Proceedings, 1194-1196, Pisa, Italy, 2004.
6. Karanasiou, I. S. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Experimental study of 3D contactless conductivity detection using microwave radiometry: A possible method for investigation of brain conductivity fluctuations," EMBC'04 Proceedings, 2303-2306, San Fransisco, USA, 2004.
7. Karanasiou, I. S., M. I. Giamalaki, A. Oikonomou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Passive four-frequency microwave tomography: An experimental feasibility study," IFMBE Proceedings, Vol. 11, 2086-1- 2086-5, Prague, 2005.
8. Giamalaki, M. I., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Enhancement of the focusing properties of a passive radiometry imaging system: A theoretical electromagnetic study," CEAA'07 Proceedings, No. 263, Torino, Italy, 2007.
9. Giamalaki, M. I., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Focused microwave radiometry from a possible functional imaging perspective: Theoretical optimization of the properties of a microwave radiometry system," ITBS 2007 Proceedings, 36-37, Milos Island, Greece, 2007.
10. Acar, R. C. and G. Dural, "Mutual coupling of printed elements on a cylindrically layered structure using closed-form Greens functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 78, 103-127, 2008.
11. Gao, G., C. Torres-Verdin, and T. M. Habashy, "Analytical techniques to evaluate the integrals of 3D and 2D spatial dyadic Greens functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 52, 47-80, 2005.
12. Li, L.-W., N. H. Lim, and W. Y. Yin, "Eigenfunctional expansion of dyadic Green's functions in gyrotropic media using cylindrical vector wave functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 43, 101-121, 2003.
13. Li, L. W., S. B. Yeap, M. S. Leong, T. S. Yeo, and P. S. Kooi, "Dyadic Green's functions in multilayered stratified gyroelectric chiral media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 35, 53-81, 2002.
14. Li, L. W., N. H. Lim, and J. A. Kong, "Cylindrical vector wave function representation of Green's dyadic in gyrotropic bianisotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 127-145, 2008.
15. Attiya, M., "Dyadic Green's function of an elementary point source above a periodically-defected-grounded dielectric slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 127-145, 2008.
16. Lamultree, S., C. Phongcharoenpanich, S. Kosulvit, and M. Krairiksh, "Analysis of radiation characteristics of a probeexcited rectangular ring antenna by the dyadic Green's function approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 79-101, 2009.
17. Gabriel, C., S. Gabriel, and E. Corthout, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: I. Literature survey," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2251-2269, 1996.
18. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: II. Measurements in the frequency range 10 Hz to 20 GHz," Physics and Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2251-2269, 1996.
19. Gabriel, S., R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Physics and Medicine and Biology, Vol. 41, 2271-2293, 1996.
20. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics USPEK, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
21. Pendry, J. B., "Electromagnetic materials enter the negative age," Physics World, Vol. 14, 47-51, 2001.
22. Smith, D. R. and N. Kroll, "Negative refractive index in left handed materials," Physical. Review. Letters, Vol. 85, 2933-2936, 2000.
23. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nermat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "A composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical. Review. Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
24. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDFD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008.
25. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from two eccentric metamaterial cylinders with frequency-dependent permittivities differing slightly each other," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 23-34, 2008.
26. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering of two or more incident plane waves by a perfect electromagnetic conductor cylinder coated with a metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 75-90, 2008.
27. Yu, G. X. and T. J. Cui, "Imaging and localization properties of LHM superlens excited by 3D horizontal electric dipoles," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 1, 35-46, 2007.
28. Wang, M. Y., J. Xu, J. Wu, Y. B. Yan, and H. L. Li, "FDTD study on scattering of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007.