Various communication systems require single radiating element operating in wide band. In this paper, a novel active integrated single microstrip antenna is proposed and its radiation pattern and gain performance is optimized with analysis. The reactive loading is provided by a negative capacitor section embedded within the patch. The active negative capacitor is made of a field-effect transistor that exhibits negative resistance as well as capacitance. It can, therefore, compensate the loss of an inductor. A microstrip patch operating at 10.5 GHz having 12.2% bandwidth has been utilized as a reference antenna. With the proposed antenna design, the antenna radiation pattern can be as large as about 1.5 times that of an antenna without reactive loading. In addition, it has been shown that active compensation significantly improves the matching level.
2. Chair, R., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Miniature multiplayer shorted patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, 3-4, 2000.
3. Chen, H. M., "Dual-frequency-microstrip antenna with embedded reactive loading," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 23, 186-188, 1999.
4. Elsdon, M. and Y. Qin, "Dual-frequency planar-fed microstrip patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 48, 1053-1054, 2006.
5. Fang, S. T., T. W. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "Broadband equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna with asymmetric bent slots and integrated reactive loading," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 23, 149-151, 1999.
6. Garg, R., P. Bahartia, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 2001.
7. Hsieh, G. B., "Dual-frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with an inserted integrated reactive loading," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, 219-221, 2002.
8. Koley, S. and J. L. Gautier, "Using a negative capacitance to increase the tuning range of a varactor diode in MMIC technology," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 2425-2430, 2001.
9. Mingo, J., A. Valdovinos, A. Crepo, and P. Garcia, "An RF electronically controlled impedance tuning network design and its application to an antenna input impedance automatic matching system," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, 489-492, 2004.
10. Wong, K. L. and J. Y. Jan, "Broadband circular microstrip antenna with embedded reactive loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 1804-1805, 1998.
11. Cooray, F. R. and J. S. Kot, "Analysis of radiation from a cylindrical-rectanguar microstrip patch antenna loaded with a supersrate and an air gap, using the electric surface current model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 135-152, 2007.
12. Yun, W. and Y. Yoon, "A wide-band aperture coupled microstrip array antenna using inverted feeding structures," IEEE Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 861-862, 2005.
13. Ghosh, S., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Sanyal, "Loaded wire antenna as EMI sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 19-36, 2005.
14. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Estimation of equivalent circuit of loaded trans-receive antenna system and its time domain studies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 89-103, 2007.
15. Hamid, A. K., "Multi-dielectric loaded axially slotted antenna on circular or elliptic cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1259-1271, 2006.
16. Lee, K.-C., "Frequency-domain analyses of nonlinearly loaded antenna arrays using simulated annealing algoritms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 271-281, 2005.
17. Ang, B.-K. and B.-K. Chung, "Wide band E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5-6Ghz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
18. Liu, X. F., Y. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Modified particle swarm optimization for patch antenna design based on IE3D," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1819-1828, 2007.
19. Chou, H. T., L. R. Kuo, and W. J. Liao, "Characteristics evaluation of an active pacth antenna structure with an embedded LNA module for GPS reception," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 599-614, 2007.