In this paper a novel numerical optimization technique for antenna configurations is introduced. This algorithm is inspired from colonizing weeds, which is shown to be very robust and adaptive to changes in the environment. Thus, capturing their properties would lead to a powerful optimization algorithm. The feasibility, efficiency and effectiveness of the proposed algorithm for optimization of antenna problems are examined by a set of antenna configurations. The obtained results are compared with a particle swarm optimization technique which is widely used in antenna optimization. Numerical results show that there is a good agreement between the corresponding results.
2. Lu, Y.Q.and J.Y.Li, "Optimization of broadband top-load antenna using micro-genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 793-801, 2006.
3. Mahanti, G.K., N.P athak, and P.Mahan ti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using realcoded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
4. Mahanti, G.K., A.Chakrabart y, and S.Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
5. Sijher, T.S.and A.A.Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 225-254, 2005.
6. Robinson, J.and Y.Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004.
7. Lee, K.C.and J.Y.Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2006.
8. Chen, T. B., Y. L. Dong, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Synthesizes of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1785-1795, 2006.
9. Boeringer, D.and D.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 771-779, 2004.
10. Karaboga, N., K.Guney, and A.Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays with use of modified touring ant-colony optimization algorithm," Wiley Periodicals, 375-383, 2002.
11. Coleman, C., E.Rothwell, and J. Ross, "Investigation of simulated annealing, ant-colony optimization, and genetic algorithms for self-structuring antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1007-1014, 2004.
12. Mehrabian, A.R.and C.Lucas, "A novel numerical optimization algorithm inspired from weed colonization," Ecological Informatics, Vol. 1, 355-366, 2006.
13. Pantoja, M.F., A.R.Bretones, and R.G.Martin, "Benchmark antenna problems for evolutionary optimization algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1111-1121, 2007.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory. Analysis and Design, Wiley, 1997., 1997.
15. Hansen, R. C., Phased Array Antennas, Wiley, 1998.
16. Collin, R. E., Antennas and Radiowave Propagation, McGraw Hill, 1985.
17. Martin, R.G., A.R.Bretones, and M.F.P antoja, "Radiation characteristic of thin-wire V-antennas excited by arbitrary time dependent currents," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 12, 1877-1880, 2001.