In this paper a novel method for ultra-high-resolution, compact and tunable optical displacement sensor using ring resonator and electromagnetically induced transparency (EIT) is proposed. The introduced technique uses ring resonator as an interesting element including high quality factor. We show that the proposed sensor can easily detect well below nanometer ranges. It is shown that the proposed idea of using EIT the resolution of the sensor is so high for displacement below mm range and for ranges larger than mm the sensitivity of the proposed sensor in both EIT and traditional cases is same approximately. Also, the proposed sensor is optically tunable. So, depends on required resolution optical control field can be used to tune the sensitivity of the proposed device.
2. Dandridge A., Fiber Optic Sensors Based on the Mach-Zehnder, Fiber Optic Sensors Based on the Mach-Zehnder and Michelson Interferometers, in Fiber Optic Sensors: An Introduction for Engineers and Scientists, Wiley, New York, 1991.
3. Kersey, A. D., "Distributed and multiplexed fiber optic sensors," Fiber Optic Sensors: An Introduction for Engineers and Scientists, 1991.
4. Marcuse, D., Principles of Optical Fiber Measurements, Academic Press, New York, 1981.
5. Vollmer, F. and P. Fischer, "Frequency-domain displacement sensing with a fiber ring-resonator," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 134, 410-413, 2007.
6. Rostami, A. and G. Rostami, "Full optical analog to digital (A/D) converter based on Kerr-like nonlinear ring resonator," Optics Communications, Vol. 228, 39-48, 2003.
7. Rostami, A. and K. Abbasian, All-optical filter design: electromagnetically induced transparency and ring resonator, Proceeding of ICT-MICC 2007, 2007.
8. Kiyat, I., C. Kocabas, and A. Aydinli, "Integrated microring resonator displacement sensor for scanning probe microscopes," J. Micromechanical MicroEng., Vol. 14, 374-387, 2004.
9. White, I. M., H. Zhu, J. D. Suter, H. Oveys, and X. Fan, "Liquid core optical ring resonator sensors," Optics Letters, Vol. 31, 1319-1321, 2006.
10. Boyd, R. W. and J. E. Heebner, "Sensitive disk resonator photonic biosensor," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 5742-5747, 2001.
11. Lee, H., M. Fleischhauer, and M. O. Scully, "Sensitive detection of magnetic fields including their orientation with a magnetometer based on atomic phase coherence," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 58, No. 3, 1998.
12. Host, C. M. K., "Design and modeling of waveguide coupled single mode microring resonators," J. Lightwave Technology, Vol. 16, 1433-1446, 1998.
13. Okamura, H. and K. Iwatsuki, "A finesse-enhanced Er doped fiber ring resonator," J. Lightwave Technology, Vol. 9, 1557-1560, 1991.
14. Agrawal, G. P., Fiber Optic Communication Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.
15. Agrawal, G. P., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, 2001.
16. Suh, W., O. Solgaard, and S. Fan, "Displacement sensing using evanescent tunneling between guided resonances in photonic crystal slabs," J. of Applied Physics, Vol. 98, 033102, 2005.
17. Lopez, J. M., Handbook of Optical Fiber Sensing Technology, Wiley, Chichester, 2002.
18. Chen, H., L. X. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. M. Zhang, K. S. Cheng, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Magnetic properties of S-shaped split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 231-247, 2005.
19. Lee, S. W., W. Kuga, and A. Ishimaru, "Quasi-static analysis of materials with small tunable stacked split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 219-229, 2005.
20. Yao, H. Y., L. W. Li, Q. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Macroscopic per formance analysis of metamaterials synthesized from microscopic 2-D isotropic cross split-ring resonator array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 197-217, 2005.
21. Zhang, J., B. Cui, S. Lin, and X. W. Sun, "Sharprejection low-pass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007.
22. Zhang, X. C., Z. Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007.
23. Fan, J. W., C. H. Liang, and X. W. Dai, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal-length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007.
24. Niu, J. X., X. L. Zhou, and L. S. Wu, "Analysis and application of novel structures based on split ring resonators and coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 153-162, 2007.
25. Scully, M. O. and M. S. Zubairy, Quantum Optics, Cambridge University Press, 1997.