This paper discusses the analysis of a novel two-segment rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) for broadening of the impedance bandwidth. In the proposed configuration, two rectangular dielectric sections are used which are separated by a metal plate. With this configuration, it is possible to excite two adjacent resonant frequencies. Utilizing the two-segment thin DRA and skillfully varying its aspect ratio, an appropriate structure is obtained that illustrates more than 76.8% impedance bandwidth (for S11>10 dB) at 3.32- 7.46 GHz frequency band.
2. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas â€”A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave Millimeter- Wave Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 7, 230-247, 1994.
3. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, 1983.
4. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press LTD., London, 2003.
5. Rao, Q., T. A. Denidni, A. R. Sebak, and R. H. Johnston, "On improving impedance matching of a CPW fed low permittivity dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 21-29, 2005.
6. Kumar, A. V. P., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microstripline fed cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006.
7. Qian, Z. H., K. W. Leung, and R. S. Chen, "Analysis of circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna excited by a spiral slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 111-121, 2004.
8. Mongia, R. K. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Tran. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, 1997.
9. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, Dielectric resonator antenna for wireless LAN applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 7, 1005-1008, 2006.
10. Petosa, A., N. Simons, R. Siushansian, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Design and analysis of multisegment dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and propagation, Vol. 48, No. 5, 738-742, 2000.
11. Rashidian, A., K. Forooraghi, and M. Tayfeh-Aligodarz, "Investigations on two-segment dielectric resonator antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 6, 533-537, 2005.
12. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Half volume dielectric resonator antenna designs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 23, 1914-1916, 1997.
13. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
14. Juntunenl, J., O. Kiveka, J. Ollikainen, and P. Vainikainen, FDTD simulation of a wide-band half volume DRA, 5th International Symposium on Antennas, No. 8, 223-226, 2000.
15. O'Keefe, S. G., S. P. Kingsley, and S. Saario, "FDTD simulation of radiation characteristics of half-volume HEM and TE-mode dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 50, No. 2, 175-179, 2002.
16. Kishk, A. A. and A. W. Glisson, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 97-118, 2001.
17. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact circular sector and annular sector dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 47, No. 5, 837-842, 1999.
18. HFSS: High frequency structure simulator based on the finite element method, v. 9.2.1, Ansoft Corporation, 2004., 2004.
19. CST GmbH 2003 CST MICROWAVE STUDIO(r) User Manual V. 5.0, Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany (www.cst.de)..
20. Lan, K., S. K. Chaudhuri, and S. Safavi-Naeini, A compact wide-dual-band antenna for bluetooth and wireless LAN applications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 6, 926-929, 2003.
21. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband simple cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 241-243, 2005.
22. Cooper, M., "Investigation of current and novel rectangular dielectric resonator antennas for broadband applications at l-band frequencies," Master of Engineering Thesis, 1997.
23. Bit-Babik, G., C. Di-Nallo, and A. Faraone, Multimode dielectric resonator antenna of very high permittivity, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, No. 6, 1383-1386, 2004.