A new compact CPW fed dual-band circularly polarized (CP) antenna for a broadcasting satellite application is presented. The proposed dual-band CP antenna consists of modified CPW ground structure by loading stub/slots/inverted L-strip and modified cross-shaped patch. A modified CPW ground structure can generate circular polarization (CP). The proposed antenna design provides the simulated impedance bandwidth (IBW) (S11 < -10 dB) of 81.42% (3.16-7.5 GHz) and 20.53% (11.8-14.5 GHz), respectively, and the 3-dB axial ratio BW (3-dB ARBW) for two bands are 29% (4.18-5.6 GHz) and 8.86% (11.86-12.96 GHz), respectively. The proposed CP antenna provides a maximum gain about 3.8 dBi and 5 dBi in lower and upper bands, respectively, with right hand circular polarization (RHCP) radiations. The overall size of the CP antenna is 27 × 27 × 1 mm3.
2. Jaiverdhan, A. K., M. M. Sharma, and R. P. Yadav, "Dual wideband circular polarized CPW-fed strip and slots loaded compact square slot antenna for wireless and satellite applications," AEU - International Journal of Electronics and Communications (Elsevier), Vol. 108, 181-188, ISSN 1434-8411, 2019.
3. Davies, K., "Ionospheric radio propagation,", NBS Monograph 80, 181, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1965.
4. Jaiverdhan, S., Sarthak, M. M. Sharma, and R. P. Yadav, "Epsilon-shaped circularly polarized strip and slot-loaded ultra-wideband antenna for Ku-band and K-band," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, e22142, 2020.
5. Jangid, M., M. M. Sharma, and Jaiverdhan, "CPW-fed dual-sense cross-shaped broadband circularly polarized antenna for wireless and satellite application," Optical and Wireless Technologies. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, M. Tiwari, R. K. Maddila, A. K. Garg, A. Kumar, P. Yupapin, (eds), Vol. 771, Springer, Singapore, 2022.
6. Sze, J.-Y., C.-I. G. Hsu, Z.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Chang, "Broadband CPW fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with lightening shaped feedline and inverted-L grounded strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 973-977, 2010.
7. Pourahmadazar, J., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, N. Felegari, and H. Shirzad, "Broadband CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with inverted-L strips for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 369-372, 2011.
8. Felegari, N., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and P. J. Broadband, "CPW-fed circularly polarized square slot antenna with three inverted-L-shape grounded strips," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 274-277, 2011.
9., Jaiverdhan, M. M. Sharma, R. P. Yadav, and R. Dhara, "Characteristic mode analysis and design of broadband circularly polarized CPW-fed compact printed square slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 94, 105-118, 2020.
10. Li, Y., Z. Zhao, Z. Tang, and Y. Yin, "Differentially fed, dual-band filtering antenna with H-shaped slot," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 448-452, 2020.
11. Chaturvedi, D., et al., "A nested SIW cavity-backing antenna for WiFi/ISM band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 4, 2775-2780, 2019.
12. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Planar ultra-wideband antennas in Ku- and K-band for pattern or polarisation diversity applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2886-2895, 2012.
13. Kandasamy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "Dual-band circularly polarized split ring resonators loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 8, 3640-5, 2016.
14. Wang, W., C. Chen, S. Wang, and W. Wu, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized filtering patch antenna using dispersive delay line," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 1-9, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.32563.
15. Sun, Y. X., K. W. Leung, and J. Ren, "Dual-band circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidths for upper hemispherical coverage," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 58132-58138, Oct. 2018.
16. Liu, H., C. Xun, S.-J. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Compact dual-band circularly polarized patch antenna with wide 3-dB axial ratio beamwidth for Beidou applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 103-113, 2019.
17. CST Inc., CST Microwave Studio Suite v. 2021.