This manuscript presents a UWB filter with three notch bands for WiMAX, WLAN, and X-Band Satellite Communication by introducing inverted E- and T-shape resonators shorted at the center, designed and fabricated for the use of UWB applications authorized by the US Federal Communications Commission. First, a UWB filter ranges from 2.8 GHz to 10.6 GHz is designed by employing four λ/4 wavelength short-circuited stubs and then couples E- and T-shape resonators on either side of the main transmission line of the proposed UWB filter to achieve notch bands response centered at the resonance frequency of 3.3 GHz for WiMAX applications, 5.1 GHz for WLAN wireless applications, and 8.3 GHz for X-band satellite communication systems, respectively. The proposed filter is able to produce three individually control stopband frequencies centered at 3.3 GHz, 5.1 GHz, and 8.3 GHz with minimum attenuation levels of -28 dB, -19 dB, and -15 dB, respectively. This indicates that the presented filter can efficiently reject superfluous bands at 3.3 GHz in WiMAX system, 5.1 GHz in WLAN system, and 8.3 GHz in satellite communication systems to improve the performance of the UWB communication systems. Finally, the proposed filter with circuit area 34 mm × 12 mm × 0.762 mm between the simulated and fabricated measurements.
2. Chen, F. C. and W. C. Chew, "Time-domain ultra-wideband microwave imaging radar system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 313-331, 2003.
3. George, T. and B. Lethakumary, "High frequency rejection using L shaped defected microstrip structure in ultra wideband bandpass filter," Materials Today: Proceedings, Vol. 25, Part 2, 265-268, Feb. 8, 2020.
4. Hung, C. Y., M. H. Weng, and Y. K. Su, "Design of compact and sharp rejection UWB BPFs using interdigital stepped-impedance resonators," IEICE Electron. Lett., Vol. 90, 1652-1654, 2007.
5. Chang, Y. C., C. H. Kao, M. H. Weng, and R. Y. Yang, "Design of the compact wideband bandpass filter with low loss, high selectivity and wide stopband," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, 187-189, 2008.
6. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Implementation of compact UWB bandpass filter with a notch-band," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, 10-12, 2008.
7. Song, Y., G. M. Yang, and W. Geyi, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using defected ground structures," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, 230-232, 2014.
8. Liu, J., W. Ding, J. Chen, and A. Zhang, "New ultra-wideband filter with sharp notched band using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 83, 99-105, 2019.
9. Choudhary, D. K. and R. K. Chaudhary, "A compact via-less metamaterial wideband bandpass filter using split circular rings and rectangular stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 72, 99-106, 2018.
10. Ji, X.-C., W.-S. Ji, L.-Y. Feng, Y.-Y. Tong, and Z.-Y. Zhang, "Design of a novel multi-layer wideband bandpass filter with a notched band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 9-16, 2019.
11. Hsu, C. L., F. C. Hsu, and J. K. Kuo, "Microstrip bandpass filters for ultra-wideband (UWB) wireless communications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 4, 682, IEEE, 2005.
12. Yang, G. M., et al., "Design of ultra-wide band (UWB) bandpass filter based on defected ground structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1374-1377, 2010.
13. Wu, C. H., et al., "A compact LTCC ultra-wideband bandpass filter using semi-lumped parallel-resonance circuits for spurious suppression," 2007 European Microwave Conference, 532-535, Munich, 2007.
14. Hong, J.-S. and H. Shaman, "An optimum ultra-wideband microstrip filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 3, 230-233, 2010.
15. Wong, W. T., et al., "Highly selective microstrip bandpass filters for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications," 2005 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 4, IEEE, 2005.
16. Shaman, H. and J. S. Hong, "A novel ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter (BPF) with pairs of transmission zeroes," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 2, 121-123, 2007.
17. Shaman, H. and J. S. Hong, "An optimum ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter with spurious response suppression," 2006 IEEE Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference, 1-5, Clearwater Beach, FL, 2006.
18. Deng, H. W., et al., "Compact quintuple-mode stub-loaded resonator and UWB filter," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 8, 438-440, 2010.
19. Zhu, H. and Q. X. Chu, "Compact ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter using dual-stub-loaded resonator (DSLR)," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 10, 527-529, 2013.
20. Chu, Q. X., X. H. Wu, and X. K. Tian, "Novel UWB bandpass filter using stub-loaded multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 403-405, 2011.
21. Zhu, L., S. Sun, and W. Menzel, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, 2005.
22. Wei, F., W. T. Li, X. W. Shi, and Q. L. Huang, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with triple-notched bands using triple-mode stepped impedance resonator," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, 512-514, 2012.
23. Wei, F., P.-Y. Qin, Y. J. Guo, and X.-W. Shi, "Design of multi-band bandpass filters based on stub loaded stepped-impedance resonator with defected microstrip structure," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, 230-236, 2016.
24. Lu, X., B. Wei, Z. Xu, B. Cao, X. Zhang, R. Wang, and F. Song, "Superconducting ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter design based on quintuple/quadruple/triple-mode resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 63, 1281-1293, 2015.
25. Zhang, C., J. Zhang, and L. Li, "Triple band-notched UWB antenna based on SIR-DGS and fork-shaped stubs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 67-69, 2014.
26. Zhou, L.-H., Y. Ma, J. Shi, J. Chen, and W. Che, "Differential dual-band bandpass filter with tunable lower band using embedded DGS unit for common-mode suppression," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, 4183-4191, 2016.
27. Zakaria, Z., M. A. Mutalib, A. Ismail, M. S. M. Isa, M. M. Ismail, A. A. Latiff, N. A. Zainuddin, and W. Y. Sam, "Compact structure of band-pass filter integrated with Defected Microstrip Structure (DMS) for wideband applications," Proceedings of the European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 21, 2158-2162, The Hague, The Netherlands, Apr. 6-11, 2014.
28. Wang, J., J. Zhao, and J. L. Li, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with triple notched bands using parallel U-shaped defected microstrip structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 89-91, 2014.
29. Deng, K. and W. Feng, "Wideband bandpass filter with multiple transmission zeros and compact size," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2452-2455, 2016.
30. Zhang, Z.-C. and H. Liu, "A ultra compact wideband bandpass filter using a quadmode stub-loaded resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 35-40, 2018.
31. Li, Y., W. W. Choi, K. W. Tam, and L. Zhu, "Novel wideband bandpass filter with dual notched bands using stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 27, 25-27, 2017.
32. Weng, M.-H., C.-W. Hsu, S.-W. Lan, and R.-Y. Yang, "An ultra-wideband bandpass filter with a notch band and wide upper bandstop performances," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 11, 1316, 2019.
33. Zheng, X. and T. Jiang, "Design of UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands using E-shaped resonator," 2016 IEEE/ACES International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems (ICWITS) and Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-2, IEEE, 2016.
34. Basit, A., M, and I. Khattak, "Designing modern compact microstrip planar quadband bandpass filter for hand held wireless applications," Frequenz, Vol. 74, No. 5-6, 219-227, Jan. 4, 2020.
35. Sami, A., M. U. Rahman, and S. Bashir, "Design of compact tri and quad band band-pass filters using stub loaded resonators for wireless applications," SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 9, 1019, 2019.
36. Basit, A., M. I. Khattak, A. R. Sebak, A. B. Qazi, and A. A. Telba, "Design of a compact microstrip triple independently controlled pass bands filter for GSM, GPS and WiFi applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 77156-77163, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2989377.