This paper introduces the design and analysis of a compact bandpass with sharp attenuation. The filter topology employs three different cells of a bisected-Π/Π configuration of a negative refractive index metamaterial transmission line. The filter centre frequency is 3.65 GHz, and its 3 dB cutoff frequencies are 2.55 GHz and 4.6 GHz (57% fractional bandwidth). The filter attenuation increases to 20 dB in only 100 MHz (at 4.7 GHz). Moreover, the filter has only 0.2 dB insertion loss within the passband. The filter stopband is characterized with typical flat with 0.2 dB return loss within the stopband (4.7 GHz-5.75 GHz) and very close to 20 dB insertion loss. Moreover, the filter has two frequency independent designed transmission zeros within this stopband. Along with previous specifications, the filter size is only 0.22λg × 0.20λg (12 × 11 mm2) at centre frequency. The filter performance has been validated through circuit model, electromagnetic simulation, and experimental measurements.
2. Feng, W., W. Che, and Q. Xue, "Transversal signal interaction: Overview of high-performance wideband bandpass filters," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 15, No. 2, 84-96, 2014.
3. Zhang, Z.-C., S.-W. Wong, J.-Y. Lin, H. W. Liu, L. Zhu, and Y. J. He, "Design of multistate diplexers on uniform-and stepped-impedance stub-loaded resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 4, 1452-1460, 2019.
4. Orellana, M., J. Selga, P. Vélez, M. Sans, A. Rodríguez, J. Bonache, V. E. Boria, and F. Martín, "Design of capacitively loaded coupled-line bandpass filters with compact size and spurious suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1235-1248, 2017.
5. Lim, T., B.-W. Min, and Y. Lee, "Miniaturisation method for coupled-line bandpass filters with identical and minimal number of reactive elements," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 14, 1192-1197, 2014.
6. Lin, T.-W., J.-T. Kuo, and S.-J. Chung, "Dual-mode ring resonator bandpass filter with asymmetric inductive coupling and its miniaturization," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2808-2814, 2012.
7. Mo, Y. X., K. J. Song, and Y. Fan, "Miniaturized triple-band bandpass filter using coupled lines and grounded stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 5, 333-335, 2014.
8. Park, J.-H., S. Lee, and Y. Lee, "Extremely miniaturized bandpass filters based on asymmetric coupled lines with equal reactance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 2, 261-269, 2011.
9. Huang, C.-C., W.-T. Fang, and Y.-S. Lin, "Miniaturization of broadband stub bandpass filters using bridged-T coils," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 20164-20173, 2018.
10. Li, Y., C. Wang, and N.-Y. Kim, "Design of very compact bandpass filters based on differential transformers," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, 439-441, 2015.
11. Tang, M., T. Shi, and X. Tan, "A novel triple-mode hexagon bandpass filter with meander line and central-loaded stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 9-12, 2015.
12. Tanni, K. and K. Wada, "Wideband bandpass filter composed of dual-path resonators using coupled-line and transmission line with inductive elements," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, 14-16, 2014.
13. Xiao, J. K., M. Zhu, Y. Li, and J. G. Ma, "Coplanar waveguide bandpass filters with separate electric and magnetic couplings," Electronics Letter, Vol. 52, 122-124, 2016.
14. Yechou, L., A. Tribak, M. Kacim, J. Zbitou, and A. M. Sanchez, "A novel wideband bandpass filter using coupled lines and T-shaped transmission lines with wide stopband on low-cost substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 143-152, 2016.
15. Wu, Y. D., G. H. Li, W. Yang, and X. Yang, "Design of compact wideband QMSIW band-pass filter with improved stopband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 65, 7-79, 2017.
16. Lan, S.-W., M.-H. Weng, C.-Y. Hung, and S.-J. Chang, "Design of a compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with an extremely broad stopband region," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 6, 392-394, 2016.
17. Lan, S. W., M. H. Weng, C. Y. Hung, and S. J. Chang, "Design of a compact ultra-wideband bandpass filter with an extremely broad stopband region," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 6, 392-394, 2016.
18. Zhang, R. and D. Peroulis, "Mixed lumped and distributed circuits in wideband bandpass filter application for spurious-response suppression," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 11, 978-980, 2018.
19. Shi, S. Y., W. J. Feng, W. Q. Che, and Q. Xue, "Novel miniaturization method for wideband filter design with enhanced upper stopband," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 2, 817-826, 2013.
20. Shen, G. X., W. Q. Che, W. J. Feng, and Q. Xue, "Analytical design of compact dual-band filters using dual composite right-/left-handed resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 3, 804-814, 2016.
21. Bo, Y., Z. Y. Lin, X. Cai, H. G. Hao, W. Luo, and W. Huang, "A novel compact crlh bandpass filter on CSRR-loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 75, 121-129, 2018.
22. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide ferrite forward coupled-line coupler," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 10, 1104-1111, 2015.
23. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Compact metamaterial coplanar waveguide ferrite tunable resonator," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 406-412, 2016.
24. Wei, Z. H., J. Huang, Y. H. Geng, J. Li, and G. Q. Xu, "Compact broadband bandpass filter on quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide loaded with CRLH interdigital slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 85-91, 2016.
25. Ibrhim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and D. Budimir, "Coupled CRLH transmission lines for compact and high selective bandpass filters," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 6, 1248-1251, 2017.
26. Mohan, M. P., A. Alphones, and M. F. Karim, "Triple band filter based on double periodic CRLH resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 3, 212-214, 2018.
27. Ibrahim, A. A., M. A. Abdalla, and W. A. E. Ali, "Small size and wide-band band pass filter with DGS/CRLH structures," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 777-783, 2019.
28. Choudhary, D. K., M. A. Abdalla, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Compact D-CRLH resonator for low pass filter with wide rejection band, high roll-off and transmission zeros," Int. Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, No. 5-6, 509-516, 2019.
29. Hassan, A. Y. and M. A. Abdalla, "A double optimized transmission zeros based on π-CRLH dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 84, 131-137, 2019.
30. Eleftheriades, G. V., "A generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-line (NRI-TL) metamaterial for dual-band and quad-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 6, 415-417, 2007.
31. Rennings, A., S. Otto, J. Mosig, C. Caloz, and I. Wolff, "Extended composite right/left-handed (E-CRLH) metamaterial and its application as quadband quarter-wavelength transmission line," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1405-1408, Japan, 2006.
32. Ahmed, K. U. and B. S. Vidree, "Fine control of filter performance based on composite right/left-handed metamaterial technology," Int. J. of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, 39-45, 2014.
33. Studniberg, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A dual-band bandpass filter based on generalized negative-refractive-index transmission-lines," IEEE Microw. & Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, 18-20, 2009.
34. Hagag, M. F. and M. A. Abdalla, "Ultra compact CPW dual band filter based on π-generalized metamaterial NRI transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 29, 1093-1103, 2015.
35. Fouad, M. A. and M. A. Abdalla, "A new π-T generalized metamaterial NRI transmission line for a compact CPW triple BPF applications," IET Microw. Ant. & Propag., Vol. 2014, No. 8, 1097-1104, 2014.