Permanent magnet linear synchronous motors (PMLSM) are well known for its high thrust performance. However, such high thrust can be distorted by the existence of cogging force due to the attraction between stator core and permanent magnet (PM). To improve its performance, two parts of the PMLSM structure were considered during the design. They are PM magnetization arrangement on mover side and stator slot opening parameters on stator side. The designed models were simulated by using FEM software, and the performances of the models are then compared. The aim of the design is to achieve high thrust and low cogging force characteristics. Apart from average thrust Fave and cogging force Fcog, the performance of the PMLSM is also evaluated using average thrust, Fave to cogging force ratio Fcog, called as thrust ratio. Based on the design, the highest thrust ratio Fave: Fcog, obtained from radial, axial and Halbach models, are 2.5032, 2.6262 and 1.8437, respectively.
2. Brando, G., A. Dannier, A. Del Pizzo, and L. P. Di Noia, "Electric steering for aircraft nose landing gears using axial-flux permanent-magnet motors," 2016 XXII International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), 761-767, Lausanne, 2016.
3. Varaticeanu, B. D. and P. Minciunescu, "Modelling and analysis of dual-sided coreless linear synchronous motor," Rev. Roum. Sci. Tech., Electrotech Net Energy, 2, Bucarest, 2014.
4. Oshima, S., S. Tahara, and K. Tagawa, "Thrust and thrust ripple of linear reluctance motor compared to permanent linear synchronous motor," 15th International Conference on Electrical Machine and Systems (ICEMS), 1-4, 2012.
5. He, Q. and X. Bao, "Reducing cogging torque in permanent-magnet synchronous motors by auxiliary teeth method," 2016 IEEE 11th Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), 1488-1495, Hefei, 2016.
6. Friswell, M. I., Dynamics of Rotating Machines, 228, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
7. Tzou, H. and T. Fukuda, Precision Sensors, Actuators and Systems, 75, Springer Science and Business Media, 2012.
8. Li, B., J. Zhao, X. Liu, Y. Guo, H. Hu, and J. Li, "Detent force reduction of an arc-linear permanent-magnet synchronous motor by using compensation windings," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 4, 3001-3011, 2017.
9. Patel, A. N., "Influence of stator teeth shaping on cogging torque of radial flux permanent magnet brushless DC motor," 2016 Biennial International Conference on Power and Energy Systems: Towards Sustainable Energy (PESTSE), 1-4, 2016.
10. Gieras, J. F. and Z. J. Piech, Linear Synchronous Motor-Transportation and Automation Systems, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 2000.
11. Azhar, F., H. Wakiwaka, K. Tashiro, and M. Nirei, "Design and performance index comparison of the permanent magnet linear motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 43, 101-108, 2015.
12. Mohd Nasir, N. A., F. A. Abdul Shukor, R. N. F. K. Raja Othman, H. Wakiwaka, and K. Tashiro, "Design of permanent magnet linear synchronous motor stator to improve magnetic flux density profile toward high thrust density performance,", Mohamed Ali M., Wahid H., Mohd Subha N., Sahlan S., Md. Yunus M., Wahap A. (eds.), Modeling, Design and Simulation of Systems, AsiaSim 2017, Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol. 751, Springer, Singapore, 2017.
13. Ling, Z., J. Ji, J. Wang, and W. Zhao, "Design optimization and test of a radially magnetized magnetic screw with discretized PMs," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, 2017.
14. Shi, W., C. Xiao, Y. Lei, B. Yu, F. Wu, and P. Zheng, "Optimization on thrust ripple of an axial-flux permanent-magnet linear synchronous machine," 2011 International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 1-6, Beijing, 2011.
15. Shahosseini, I. and K. Najafi, "Cylindrical halbach magnet array for electromagnetic vibration energy harvesters," 2015 28th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 1051-1054, Estoril, 2015.
16. Koo, M. M., J. Y. Choi, H. J. Shin, and J. M. Kim, "No-load analysis of PMLSM with halbach array and PM overhang based on three-dimensional analytical method," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 26, No. 4, 1-5, 2016.
17. Azhar, F., N. A. M. Nasir, R. N. Firdaus, H. Wakiwaka, K. Tashiro, and M. Nirei, "Comparison and prediction of performance index of permanent magnet linear motor," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy (PECon), 558-563, 2016.