In this work, the problem of mutually coupled dipole antenna array failure has been solved using bat algorithm by adjusting only the amplitude excitation of good array elements. The element failure causes the degradation of side-lobe power level to an improper level. A fitness function is formulated to obtain the difference between degraded side-lobe pattern and measured side-lobe pattern, and a flexible approach using bat algorithm is used to minimize this function. Numerical examples of single and multiple element failure correction under mutual coupling conditions are discussed to show the capability of this proposed approach.
2. Peters, T. J., "A conjugate gradient based algorithm to minimize the side lobe level of planar arrays with element failure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 10, 1497-1504, Oct. 1991.
3. Mailloux, R. J., "Array failure correction with a digitally beamformed array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 12, 1543-1550, Dec. 1996.
4. Yeo, B. K. and Y. Lu, "Array failure correction with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 823-828, May 1999.
5. Rodriquez, J. A., F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Genetic algorithm procedure for linear array failure correction," Electronic Letters, Vol. 36, No. 3, 196-198, Feb. 2000.
6. Wang, L. and D. Fang, "Combination of genetic algorithm and fast fourier transform for array failure correction," 6th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, 234-237, Beijing, China, Oct. 28-Nov. 1, 2003.
7. Padron, A. and J. L. Garduno, "Antenna array adjust with adaptive neuronal system," Journal of Applied Research and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, 189-198, Dec. 2004.
8. Lozano, M. V. and J. A. Rodriquez, "Recalculating linear array antennas to compensate for failed elements while maintaining fixed nulls," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 2048-2051, Orlando, FL, USA, Jul. 11-16, 1999.
9. Redvik, J., "Simulated annealing optimization applied to antenna arrays with failed elements," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 458-461, Orlando, FL, USA, Jul. 11-16, 1999.
10. Yeo, B. K. and Y. Lu, "Fast array failure correction using improved particle swarm optimization," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1537-1540, Singapore, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
11. Acharya, O. P., A. Patnaik, and S. N. Sinha, "Null steering in failed antenna array," National Conference on Communication, 1-4, Bangalore, Jan. 28-30, 2011.
12. Acharya, O. P., A. Patnaik, and S. N. Sinha, "Null steering in failed antenna array," Journal Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Vol. 2011, 1-9, 2011.
13. Grewal, N. S., M. Rattan, and M. S. Patterh, "A Linear antenna array failure correction using firefly algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 241-254, 2012.
14. Grewal, N. S., M. Rattan, and M. S. Patterh, "A linear antenna array failure correction with null steering using firefly algorithm," Defence Science Journal, Vol. 64, No. 2, 136-142, Mar. 2014.
15. Pathak, N., B. Basu, and G. K. Mahanti, "Combination of inverse fast Fourier transform and modified particle swarm optimization for synthesis of thinned mutually coupled linear array of parallel half wave length dipole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 16, 105-115, 2011.
16. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Low-sidelobe pattern synthesis using iterative fourier techniques coded in MATLAB," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 2, 137-150, 2009.
17. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Prentice-Hall, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
18. Rodriguez, J. A., F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Feeding in-phase dipole arrays: A tutorial and a MATLAB program," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 5, 169-173, 2005.
19. Muralidharan, R., V. Athinarayanan, G. K. Mahanti, and A. Mahanti, "QPSO versus BSA for failure correction of linear array of mutually coupled parallel dipole antennas with fixed side lobe level and VSWR," Journal of Advances in Electrical Engineering, Vol. Hindawi, Sep. 2014, 1-7, 2014.
20. Yang, X.-S., "A new metaheuristic bat-inspired algorithm," Nature Inspired Cooperative Strategies for Optimization (NISCO 2010), Vol. 284, 65-74, (Gonzalez, J. R. et al., editors), Springer, SCI, 2010.
21. Yang, X.-S., "Bat algorithm for multiobjective optimization," International Journal Bio-Inspired Computation, Vol. 3, 267-274, 2011.
22. Guney, K. and A. Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna array using modified tabu search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 33, 167-182, 2001.