The thermal characteristic of a new out-rotor fault-tolerant permanent-magnet (FTPM) motor is modeled and predicted in this paper. Flow characteristics and thermal characteristics of this FTPM motor are calculated by using computational fluid dynamics method. The key is that an equivalent model is developed to replace the real motor, offering the merits of simplified meshing progress and convenient thermal calculation. Furthermore, the effectiveness of the developed equivalent model has been verified by simulation and experiment. In addition, the temperature distribution of the entire motor is given by using equivalent models. The results can be provided to improve motor thermal performance.
2. Mahmoudi, A., S. Kahourzade, N. A. Rahim, H. W. Ping, and N. F. Ershad, "Slot-less torus solid-rotor-ringed line-start axial-flux permanent-magnet motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 331-355, 2012.
3. Zhao, W., M. Cheng, R. Cao, and J. Ji, "Experimental comparison of remedial single-channel operations for redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 189-204, 2012.
4. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and H. W. Ping, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
5. Chen, Q., G. Liu, W. Gong, and W. Zhao, "A new fault-tolerant permanent-magnet machine for electric vehicle applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4183-4186, 2011.
6. Zhao, W., M. Cheng, and K. T. Chau, "Remedial injected-harmonic-current operation of redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 1, 151-159, 2013.
7. Fornasiero, E., N. Bianchi, and S. Bolognani, "Slot harmonic impact on rotor losses in fractional-slot permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2557-2564, 2012.
8. Lin, D., P. Zhou, and W. N. Fu, "A dynamic core loss model for soft ferromagnetic and power ferrite materials in transient finite element analysis," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 2, 1318-1321, 2004.
9. Li, G., J. Ojedea, and E. Hoang, "Thermal-electromagnetic analysis for driving cycles of embedded flux-switching permanent-magnet motors," IEEE Transactions on Vehicle Technology, Vol. 61, No. 1, 140-151, 2012.
10. Jungreuthmayer, C., T. Bauml, O. Winter, M. Ganchev, H. Kapeller, A. Haumer, and C. Kral, "A detailed heat and fluid flow analysis of an internal permanent magnet synchronous machine by means of computational fluid dynamics," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4568-4578, 2012.
11. Staton, D., A. Boglietti, and A. Cavagnino, "Solving the more difficult aspects of electric motor thermal analysis," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 20, No. 3, 620-628, 2005.
12. Valenzuela, M. A. and J. A. Tapia, "Heat transfer and thermal design of finned frames for TEFC variable-speed motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 10, 3500-3508, 2008.
13. Hettegger, M., B. Streibl, and O. Biro, "Measurements and simulations of the convective heat transfer coefficients on the end windings of an electrical machine," IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 5, 2299-2308, 2012.
14. Boglietti, A., A. Cavagnino, and D. Staton, "Determination of critical parameters in electrical machine thermal models," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 44, No. 4, 1150-1159, 2008.
15. Boglietti, A., A. Cavagnino, D. Staton, M. Shanel, M. Mueller, and C. Mejuto, "Evolution and modern approaches for thermal analysis of electrical machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 3, 871-882, 2009.
16. Boglietti, A., A. Cavagnino, M. Lazzari, and M. Pastorelli, "A simplified thermal model for variable-speed self-cooled industrial induction motor," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, Vol. 39, No. 4, 945-952, 2003.
17. Nerg, J., M. Rilla, and J. Pyrhönen, "Thermal analysis of radial-flux electrical machines with a high power density," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 10, 3543-3554, 2008.
18. EL-Refaie, A. M., N. C. Harris, T. M. Jahns, and K. M. Rahman, "Thermal analysis of multibarrier interior pm synchronous machine using lumped parameter model," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, No. 2, 303-309, 2004.
19. Mugglestone, J., S. J. Pickering, and D. Lampard, "Effect of geometric changes on the flow and heat transfer in the end region of a TEFC induction motor," Proc. 9th IEEE Int. Conf. Elect. Mach. Drives, 40-44, Canterbury, U.K., 1999.
20. Marignetti, F. and V. Delli Colli, "Thermal analysis of an axial flux permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2970-2975, 2009.